GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting preference in the 1/4 mile in dsg.

So, I will be heading to a nearby strip on the 8th of march, and as it will be my first time, I have some questions. I have an 07 gti with dsg and launch control. It is bone stock, and I want to get the best times as humanly possible. I was thinking about doing a first run in S mode, lc at 2500 rpms and just floor it down the track. The second run would be with paddle shifters with the lc released at 3000 rpms (being careful not to dump all at one time.) I was thinking the paddle shifters might be better to maximize my power and shift around 5600 rpms, because our power dies out after that. But i've heard some voicing that sometimes the car might shift anyway when you don't want it too with the paddles... so what to do what to do:iono: Do you all reccomend if i should just do what I proposed, see which one works better and then continue with the best in following runs, or do one or the other from the very beginning. Thanks in advance.:help:

MKV Turbo15

23psi and fast as fuck!
Car(s)
Jetta
put it in S and floor it, this way you dont risk the tranny automatically shifting for you when you dont want

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
put it in s mode then shift with the paddles (while still in S mode) with your foot on the floor it shouldn't shift early unless you tell it to :wink:

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
what kind of tires do you have on, and how cold is it in fairfax this time of year? depending on your response, you may want to modulate instead of flooring it, i dunno. i know that if i floor it with my all-seasons in the cold weather that we currently have (nj), i'll get plenty of both wheel spin and wheel hop. i think this type of activity is more suited to warmer weather and sticky summer tires with plenty of grip.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
what kind of tires do you have on, and how cold is it in fairfax this time of year? depending on your response, you may want to modulate instead of flooring it, i dunno. i know that if i floor it with my all-seasons in the cold weather that we currently have (nj), i'll get plenty of both wheel spin and wheel hop. i think this type of activity is more suited to warmer weather and sticky summer tires with plenty of grip.

your not going to have too much wheel spin on a 1/4 mile track there is enough rubber on the track to prevent this

Understeer'd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 VW Golf (BPY)
I agree with the 2nd post, good luck and have fun.

OT (sorry): I heard DSG automaticly shifts at redline, whether you hit the paddle or not, no matter what 'mode' you're in. Is there any truth to that?

chadman

Old Guy with Young Car
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
I've had plenty of wheel hop while out at the Irwindale dragstrip. You may or may not experience it, depending on the condition of your particular track and your tires (type, pressure, and temp), and a bazillion other variables like track temp and how much VHT is put down.

At least you have the DSG, launching well with a manual can be a bit tricky.

...and don't feel bad if you don't set blazing times. A good launch is pretty tough to get, and the tracks condition will continually change throughout the day, so what works for one run might not work when you get your next one.

Remember to be nice to your car. Lots of things go "pop" at the dragstrip.

You WILL have a bucketload of fun!

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
You know that diffrent drag strips make a huge diffrence. Some have great track prep and you dont spin at all. When i first went to island drag way i was launching at 3000rpm with almost no wheel spin hence the 14.2 bone stock in the bottom of my post. When people were making comments how you cant launch at 3000 rpm because your tires will just smoke i was wondering what they were talking about. So i went to a diffrent drag strip this time englishtown where you dont get as good grip. Well let me tell you my 60' were alot hire and i could not get better then a 14.5 and i was spinning the whole first.

In short :biggrin: the track you are going to is going to make a huge difference. How high should you launch? It really depends on how you are hooking on that day. Try the first run with 3000 rpm and if you are spinning to much then go down to 2500 rpm.

As far as shifting, this is the way i got my best run. Leave it in S and i let it shift by itself from 1-2 and 2-3 but 3-4 i shifted at 6000 rpm. You may also want to try shifting manualy from 2-3.

apr_GTI

not euro
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
I ran a 14.7 with it in S, then a 14.5 with it in manual shifting at 7000, 6800, 6500, and a 14.3 shifting at ~6500 everytime.

Last time I went to the track a guy ran a 13.4 with just a downpipe, intake, and stage 2 and he said he shifts at 5500.