GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of trading in my MK5 GTI for the Jetta TDI 2.0...

Buccaneer

Ready to race!
Currently in London at the moment and I drove a friend's Jetta TDI 2.0...

The drive sort of got me thinking - although I love the GTI, I never really got used to the semi-hard suspension (was actually thinking of changing it when I got back to Melbourne) and with the Victorian anti-hooligan laws coming into effect in July (where the police get to impound your car for months on end or worst), speed to me (now) isn't a major factor anymore. Espeacially when I got slapped with a $200 fine around 3 months ago after fanging the car down the Monash Freeway (amazing) and straight into the gun camera of a highway patrol car (stupid of me really - but that van in the fast lane refused to move to the left :p).

I'll miss the beautiful GTI steering wheel for sure - the car's amazing handling and who can forget the sumptious bucket seats & sporty grille? But with fuel prices not coming down anytime soon (in Melbourne, diesel prices are about the same as petrol), I'm seeing the Jetta TDI in a new light.

It has grunt while being economical. By taking extras like metallic paint, bi-xenon and sporty suspension (which is semi-soft and appeals to me but I am bias since I came from a soft SUV before the GTI), the Jetta can become a proper substitute in terms of appearance & features.

Sorry if I'm turning some of you off but I thought I'd put this question forward - am I nuts or should I seriously consider switching?

- Buc

koo

Ready to race!
Yeah, why not. I kind of accidently bought a GTI and love it (all 300k's I have had in it so far...) but I drove a (not so) little Polo today while I got the Golf tinted and actually didn't mind the soft ride. In a straight line at least. Jetta looks quite good too.

miketoti

Autocross Newbie
I've only done 400kms in my baby and I wouldn't change it for anything at the mo! Maybe a Mk5 R32?
Im from Melbourne also, and lucky to still have my lice sence in these last 400kms! This car is decievingly fast!!!

Turtle

Drag Racing Champion
I have to say i think the GTI wins over on exterior detailing over the R32. Not really a fan of using the Jetta front, to me it doesn't position it as a higher end vehicle from the GTI, even though obviously it is when you look at the equipment. I think the GTI as a package and for what it costs is about as well balanced as you could hope for. They just got it right.

ozabyss

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Buccaneer. Its a tough choice. Was looking at the Golf TDI myself. Also looked at the Jetta FSI. The Jetta is a great looking car, with some great skirting, wheel options. So even though you may get the TDI, you could stll make the Jetta one of the hotest cars looking out there.

VW Diesel technology is a very tempting option indeed

Good luck with your decision making:confused:

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
keeeeeeeeeeep the GTI trust me you will wana kill yourself if after you lose it :wink: IMHO anwayz someone said something about tint.....how much do the dealers charge and how much can y0ou bargin the price tanx

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
You're nuts... :biggrin:

Seriously tho, if it's not the car for you, then a 2.0TDI Jetta with DSG would be a pretty good replacement.

Buccaneer

Ready to race!
Thanks guys for the constructive replies. Everyone made a valid point and I'll probably hold on to the car for a couple of months or suffer a lost in resale value (heck its just nuts to give up a car that has yet to go over 2000 kms).

Finally - if I really want to get my hands on VW's diesel technology, I think I'll wait for the VW Eos to come out next year since it comes with the TDI 2.0 engine :) and I've always wanted to try a hard top convertible + the ride is suppose to be pleasant (which it should be since it isn't a GTI). And to me the Eos looks superb (in silver to me anyway).

Actually read about it via carsguide.com.au :) heres the article linked http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,19061485-5003140,00.html

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
oh the VW Eos is sweet love to have that

damo

Oval Newbie
ozabyss said:
Hey Buccaneer. Its a tough choice. Was looking at the Golf TDI myself. Also looked at the Jetta FSI. The Jetta is a great looking car, with some great skirting, wheel options. So even though you may get the TDI, you could stll make the Jetta one of the hotest cars looking out there.
VW Diesel technology is a very tempting option indeed
Yeah me too when you drive a 2.0TDi you will be plesantly surprised, a little tip though the 125kw and 350nm 2 litre engine is coming soon hold on for a little while you won't regret it.:thumbsup:

vmq6695

May you be well and happy
Car(s)
VW Golf
Hmm ... I drove both the GTI and the 2.0 TDI. And I decided that the 2.0 TDI was the better of the two for my intended use (highway driving slightly more than urban driving). I estimate that the 2.0 TDI, if it lives up to the reputation of earlier VW TDI models, will pay me back for the premium cost I paid for the diesel donk as long as I own it for 6 years and cover the kms I expect.

For a diesel engine, especially a VAG TDI, the power output rating is not as important as the torque. And the torque of the 2.0 TDI is more than adequate. More is usually more fun, but even the 1.9 TDI is quite a pleasant drive.

shauno

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf MkV GTI
Yeah me too when you drive a 2.0TDi you will be plesantly surprised, a little tip though the 125kw and 350nm 2 litre engine is coming soon hold on for a little while you won't regret it.:thumbsup:

Any actual news on this engine for Aus?

I don't want to spend $35k on the 103Kw/320Nm TDI if there's a new one around the corner (hopefully at the same price as the current one) :)

shtrumfy2k

Ready to race!
in europe we have 2.0 tdi and 4motion, and i think it's a very good choice
stock u have 140 hp and 320 Nm, now i have 170 hp and 400Nm and the car goes like a rocket btw this is the first stage

when i'll pass the 10k km i will remap to 180 hp....and then to 196 hp...so i will be a gti killer with low fuel economy