GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I beat an SRT-4!!!...

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
first and foremost, wouldn't risk racing an SRT-4 on the street since they'll beat a stock WRX (non-STi); no need to take that kind of risk just to get your ass kicked. i don't even think i would risk it on the track for the safety of my pride.

anyways...i get on the interstate, head to the center lane going about 70; slightly above traffic's avg. speed. a gold SRT-4 ****BLOWS**** past me; no way he was doing under 100. i'm not sure if he was showing off, or looking for an easy kill, or just simply hauling ass. i'm sure he was heavily modded, as it sounded like he had a completely open exhaust. after he passed, i told my girlfriend that i would follow him; he can be the lead blocker and if there were any cops shooting radar, he would surely clear them out of the way. put the signal on, moved to the center lane, looked forward (he was already about 250-300 meters ahead) just in time to see him try to cut across a lane and brake at the same time. he started to fish tail and couldn't hold on; went straight into the concrete barrier on the right side of the highway. hit it hard enought to moved the 2'x3'x6' slab of concrete about 4 feet from it's original position.

i pulled over to see if he was ok, or to see if he needed anything. his key broke off in the ignotion upon impact and the mangled hood was holding the throttle wide open. we had to use a crow bar to pry his hood open to unplug the battery to kill the car.

here is the kicker: after all was said and done, after he was taken away in an ambulance and the other witnesses had left, i was detained and questioned because the great police of denver decided that i was obviously racing him and they wanted to cite me with a speed contest violation (which makes your license go bye-bye). you can imagine how happy i was to hear that so a little bit of a tirade took place; which probably wasn't the best way to go about things. at any rate, i wasn't cited, and my car wasn't stuck to a giant slab of concrete.

moral? be careful guys. we are lucky to have these cars, and run a risk every time we take part in anything other than driving like an absolute saint. take car of the your cars, yourselves, and the people around you.

p.s. i would take my GTI over a heavily modded neon any day!!

jizzim

Doesn't have herpes
1. Street/highway racing is stupid. Period. Take that shit to the track.
2. Idiots that drive like maniacs on the freeway are stupid.
3. People that do the above and screw themselves up deserve it.

*Note: Not saying you did the following.. Just my rant.

USAF_ammo

Autocross Newbie
wow that sucks for him. story like happend to me and a stock camaro about 2 years ago. just cruzing along in my STG3 GTI when this red camaro pulls up and starts messing around trying to get me to race. well i didnt want to waste gas and i had my girl friend in the car with me so i didnt want to freak her out. this guy just takes off and didnt see the red light that we were approching and runs it.....well this 1980 something full size dodge ram vans is going through the intersection and t-bones the camaro in the driver door doing around 60mph.....luckly he walked away with only cuts and bruses. to this day i havent street raced and probably wont ever again. i say if you wanna race do it on a track!

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
jkaruzas said:
p.s. i would take my GTI over a heavily modded neon any day!!

That "heavily modded neon" is a killer of all things 4 banging! i know three people in orlando that own heavily modded srt 4's and they can walk away from slightly modded v-8's.

They are extremley fast in a straight line wouldnt recomend doing 100+ then slamming on the breaks and changing lanes with an FF though... think thats where he went wrong!

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
totally agree with being careful not only with ourselves, passengers, animals but also with our cars (I do work hard to pay for it). Nothing wrong with using our mkv's to its potential but only when needed or if you're on a lonely warehouse area street jk.:smile:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
jizzim said:
1. Street/highway racing is stupid. Period. Take that shit to the track.
2. Idiots that drive like maniacs on the freeway are stupid.
3. People that do the above and screw themselves up deserve it.

*Note: Not saying you did the following.. Just my rant.
trust this man.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
R-Mac06 said:
They are extremley fast in a straight line wouldnt recomend doing 100+ then slamming on the breaks and changing lanes with an FF though... think thats where he went wrong!

yup... fast in a strait line but pigs around a corner or any other situation requiring turning...

Hypnoz

Go Kart Champion
AutoXinMK5 said:
yup... fast in a strait line but pigs around a corner or any other situation requiring turning...

I wouldn't say that. Stock they can be just a fast around most auto-x as a stock wrx (non-sti). That's not very piggish. Plus skidpad tests and slalom from magazines shows it's a decent handling car (not great, that's for sure).

damo

Oval Newbie
RJS5689 said:
How does doconnecting the batter kill the engine though... isnt it onyl needed to start it?
The battery provides power to the sparkplug to ignite the fuel. A diesel only needs the battery to start, they compress the mixture that much it self ignites thus no spark required.

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
RJS5689 said:
How does doconnecting the batter kill the engine though... isnt it onyl needed to start it?
Yeah I picked up on that too. I suppose eventually it'd die... but the alternator is going to keep it running for quite some time... :iono:

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
Battery will supply power to engine computer, which sends signal to injectors, ignition coils, ect.....

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
It makes me think something is either just not right with those cars, or they have quite a few owners who can't drive. You can't imagine how many of those things get wrecked and totalled. Insurance has got to be insane on those now.