GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror blinker install

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I got my new mirror blinkers from Germany in the mail and put them on today along with the OEM DSG grills. I purchased the in.pro. blinkers from TMTUNNING. You basically have to dismantle the mirror completely to change out the blinkers.

First you need to tilt the mirror up and then pull from the bottom. This will pop the mirror off.

Then you need to unscrew three torque screw where the red circles are. This will allow the motor to separate from the mirror housing.

Then you need to use a flat head screw driver to pry two tabs to wards you to allow the painted outer housing to come off.
You pull the housing up away from the mirror. One of the tabs is hidden in the hole on the right of the picture. These tabs are part of the blinker housing.

The red circles are tabs that hold the black ring on to the main frame of the mirror and allows you to get to two torque screws that hold the blinker on. The green circles are where the ring slides onto two rails to help hold it on.

You can see the clips better here. You now only have two torque screws holding the blinkers on.

The two screw are circled with yellow. The bottom black plastic of the mirror is attached two the blinkers with two more torque screw separate them and reverse the steps to put the mirror back together.

This what it should look like when you are done. Sorry for the crappy pics but I had to use my camera on my phone.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The clear OEM ones are just way to clear. Especialy on the darker cars. This really wasn't that hard of a project to do, just take your time.

hakgwai

Touring Car Newbie
Car(s)
BMP GTI
how much was you're shipping fee?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Don't actually remember. It was alot but then again they were coming from Germany.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
Hmm, how do you guys actually take out the whole mirror housing? I just ordered a smoked mirror set and was just wondering. :iono:

Inertiatic

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, how do you guys actually take out the whole mirror housing? I just ordered a smoked mirror set and was just wondering. :iono:

There are two clips behind the mirror motor that you pop off with a flat head screw driver and then it comes right out. If you enlarge the photos, the clip spots are circled.

kt620498

DubC VW
Car(s)
2007 Jetta GLI
anyone with some more detail description of how to get the mirror housing off? i know there are two clips but the one is hidding behind the metal plate and you can bearly see it, i dont wanna break anything trying to pry it off? and suggestions

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
Alright. In order to get the mirror housing off, there are two black tabs in the top section of the housing where the motor was. If you can get those off, just slip the silver tabs to the side and try and take off the mirror cap. It took a little longer than expected, but it will work. Though, the tab inside the housing that you're talking about is fragile, so be careful.

kt620498

DubC VW
Car(s)
2007 Jetta GLI
yea i noticed it was fragile when trying to do this mod, in fact i ran out of time and had to leave for work, because i didnt wanna force it, so i kept trying to gently get it off, but i did notice those two black tabs that are kind of under the painted housing, ill try that later today and see how that goes, thanks gitTom

IML337

bahnstorming
I know this thread is old, but it just proved useful to me after a taxi's filler cap clipped my mirror and damaged the blinker component.

So, thanks for the info :)

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Glad to see you got use out of it.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
anyone with some more detail description of how to get the mirror housing off? i know there are two clips but the one is hidding behind the metal plate and you can bearly see it, i dont wanna break anything trying to pry it off? and suggestions

use a small flat head screw driver that is thin and when pulling up on the mirror cover use the screwdriver to pull up the TAB you should be able to see the orientation from the exposed one on the outer part of the side mirror. and the cover should come right off.

I changed mine and it took about 10 mins each side...once you get one side off the other is a piece of cake...and the worse part is the wire clip to the blinkers...i had to pull pretty hard and be careful not to break the wires off the clip.