GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FNG Questions

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
.:R 32
Hey everyone,

Potential MKV R32 owner from Seattle with a few questions...I realize these are fairly new on the market, which might be part of why I am having trouble finding these answers, but I thought maybe someone could at least point me in the right direction.

I'm currently researching different vehicles, trying to decide on one for a mid-summer or third quarter purchase, and the R32 has definitely caught my attention.

I loved my last rig, a Trailblazer SS, but it lacked practicality for where I am at. When my parents vehicle went belly up last month, I gave it to them as a Xmas present, and a thank you for paying my way though college.

So, now the questions:

1) Coming from a GM vehicle, I did all my own engine and transmission tuning. I see a lot of places for "Chips", but none for tuning software...is this something I can do myself? This is a fairly big deal for me, as I really enjoy doing every aspect of a vehicle myself.

2) How are dealerships with warranty situations? I came to words with more than one with my Chevy warranty, before I discovered that certain dealers do not have to maintain any standards.:mad0259:

3) While I enjoy track time, I am not into street racing...do these vehicles attract attention from every high school idiot that can afford a Honda?

Appreciate any info, and I'm sure I'll raise quite a few more questions over the next few weeks.

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
I guess being in high school makes me an idiot. Your the one who bought an american car.

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
1. No you cannot do any thing having to do with tuning the ecu yourself. I know revo has an option that you can get where you can mess around with the settings, but thats for the GTI.

2. It all depends on your dealership, some are more mod-friendly than others. Most "Chip" companies have ways of hiding the fact that you have something done, although there are always ways for them to find out.

3. I dont drive an r32 but in my GTI i find that 99% of the time the person trying to race me is actually a middle aged man in a BMW or some other high end car.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
I guess being in high school makes me an idiot. Your the one who bought an american car.

Well, putting yourself into the category of people I am referring to does...I loved my American car. It ran excellent, rode great, and had every feature I could have imagined. Bolt on parts were cheap and quite effective. $1000 for Efans, a CAI, Pullies and Tuning software netted me 44AWHP. A H/C on top of that gained another 80. It's lack of practicality was it's size (5000 lb SUV) and that relation to it's mpg (I drive about 35-30K per year). If not for those things, I would buy the same truck again in a heartbeat. BTW, American is capitalized.

1. No you cannot do any thing having to do with tuning the ecu yourself. I know revo has an option that you can get where you can mess around with the settings, but thats for the GTI.

2. It all depends on your dealership, some are more mod-friendly than others. Most "Chip" companies have ways of hiding the fact that you have something done, although there are always ways for them to find out.

3. I dont drive an r32 but in my GTI i find that 99% of the time the person trying to race me is actually a middle aged man in a BMW or some other high end car.

That's a bit of a bummer that there is no self-tuning, but definitely not a deal breaker. I do agree, guys in M3's always want to race...they were never happy when they got beat by a giant SUV :p . I will miss the straight line power of that car, but I am looking for more versatility both around town and in spirited driving.

The only other issue I thought of now was space on the rare occasion someone might get in the back. I know from looking there is more room than in the Coopers and such, but has anyone actually put 4 people in?

Thanks.

Eilig

I coulda had a V8
The only other issue I thought of now was space on the rare occasion someone might get in the back. I know from looking there is more room than in the Coopers and such, but has anyone actually put 4 people in?

Thanks.

Yes, and they were adult males of average size (5'8''-5'10"). They were quite comfy. We didn't go 500 miles but for an hour or two it's OK.

R32 deals are out there, go for it...

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
Yes, and they were adult males of average size (5'8''-5'10"). They were quite comfy. We didn't go 500 miles but for an hour or two it's OK.

R32 deals are out there, go for it...

That sounds excellent...I'm 6'0", but have stubby little legs, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I appreciate the responses.

R Usagi

" Say Uncle "
Car(s)
'07 UG 2 Door
Do what i do before I buy a new vehicle. I sit in the back seat (i am 6'1") and i figure if i can handle it, then no one else should complain too loudly. Of course, since it is my car, I never ride in the back. I like the head room in the MKV, more than many of the other cars I looked at. I remember having to tilt my head to drive a Celica GTS way back when (friends car) and I like my seat fairly straight up, not in laying back.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
^^^ I actually went to try today, but there wasn't one on the lot (there was yesterday when I drove by...instead all they had was some sort of "Fahrenheit Edition" GTI.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
Went up to the dealer this morning and sat in the back, with my large cousin in the front. I'm 6'0", and he is 6'2", and I did not feel crowded.

Is this generation of Golf going to be around for awhile, or is there a new MK just around the corner? Will there be an '09 R32, or '08 only?

R Usagi

" Say Uncle "
Car(s)
'07 UG 2 Door

I think your comment speaks volumes about who is an idiot.

He wasn't directing the comment at you, so why did you take it personally?

My American made car has by far been the least troublesome over the last 10 years BTW. Cannot say the same for the German made one or the English made one that I have. I hope my VW is as trouble free as the American one still is.

And hopefully we are not graded on spelling and our use of the english language on this forum, because I am sure that many of us would fall short of our expectations. I am fairly sure I would.

smolinski21

Forever like etc...
^ Didn't you know that the German made car is the end all be all? No other car in this world can hold a candle to that of the German kind. Tasteofink8733 hit that one right on the nose. Show me your 1450, son.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Hey everyone,

Potential MKV R32 owner from Seattle with a few questions...I realize these are fairly new on the market, which might be part of why I am having trouble finding these answers, but I thought maybe someone could at least point me in the right direction.

I'm currently researching different vehicles, trying to decide on one for a mid-summer or third quarter purchase, and the R32 has definitely caught my attention.

I loved my last rig, a Trailblazer SS, but it lacked practicality for where I am at. When my parents vehicle went belly up last month, I gave it to them as a Xmas present, and a thank you for paying my way though college.

So, now the questions:

1) Coming from a GM vehicle, I did all my own engine and transmission tuning. I see a lot of places for "Chips", but none for tuning software...is this something I can do myself? This is a fairly big deal for me, as I really enjoy doing every aspect of a vehicle myself.

2) How are dealerships with warranty situations? I came to words with more than one with my Chevy warranty, before I discovered that certain dealers do not have to maintain any standards.:mad0259:

3) While I enjoy track time, I am not into street racing...do these vehicles attract attention from every high school idiot that can afford a Honda?

Appreciate any info, and I'm sure I'll raise quite a few more questions over the next few weeks.

PyroBob.

First of all welcome to our forums. We have all kinds of enthusiasts from different ages and maturity as it is on other automotive forums. :wink:

My parents owned a Trailblazer SS, and it has been a great ownership for them. That was pretty quick too. I really like them. Especially in silver.

Working on these R32s is not as difficult as it seems. Coming from a domestic SUV, you might find everything compact in the engine bay. There is not much room like American cars. Germans like to utilize every bit of space. The battery is in the back. Regular maintenance is easy. If you have novice skills, which i believe you have way more than that, it is piece of cake to change the oil in these things. Transmission fluid change is not hard at all, there are bunch of DIY threads laying around on the internet. I will get one stickied when i can have more time. You might need special tools or awkward measurements in European cars, so it is for your best interest to read a DIY before going under the car. I do not take my car to the dealership, but either do the maintenance myself, or if i am busy have a local tuner do it for me. I save my receipts and use VW approved oil and fluids. Simple is that.

Software downloading is something that you have to deal with a tuner shop. All these programs are downloaded through the OBD port and there is no way around it, period. You are in Seattle, there are bunch of options for you.

As far as little punks and idiots trying to race you, that is not my forte. I ignore them all.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
Good to hear. I try to do all my own fluid changes, usually with synthetics.

Is anyone running GL100 or similar in there diffs or LSD's/Transfer cases? This made a huge difference in the Posi on my SS.

Also, I've looked around, and found that if I want 19" rims, I need a 45mm offset, but what width and tire size can squeeze under that? With or without fender roll...lowered only if there was a performance benefit to it, not so much for the look.

willlangford

Hamster
Car(s)
08 MKV :R32
PyroBob - FYI Check the PNW area, we are having a meet Sat, I will be there with my R if you wanna look at it, I can take you for a ride if needed as well. Just an offer.