GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 vs. MKIV R32... opinion thread. Which is the better car?

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright guys, this is just an opinion thread. I have not driven a MKV R32 but I have driven a couple MKIV's... silver and that blue color. I loved them both, though not balls out straight line fast and I can see my self wishing it had more ooomph, I really liked the car... the seats, the guages... the exhaust note OMG. I remember driving the MKIV, and noticing that with speed shifting... it was almost like it couldn't keep up with it self and there was maybe a half second delay in the gear change... Hard to explain but I would rifle through the gears and it almost took a sec for the car to know I switched the gear... It'd almost clunk from shifting too fast. Like something was hitting after the change of gears? Am I making sense? Or was there something wrong with this car ya think? Anyways that is what I hated about the MKIV.

Any pros and cons between the two because I am seriously considering getting an MKV because of the price drops... or maybe a used one in a year or two. Thanks for the help. I'd also like some commentary on how well these motors hold up, transmissions, diffs, clutches etc etc... I fear VW because of breaking something. My SRT trans could handle damn near anything without a hickup, same with the 2.4L powerplant, the clutch was strong too. But I want something better now and I think I may get bored with the rental car EVO interior and amenities.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
I think the MKV R32 is definately more of a refined touring car than the MKIV, but thats just because all MKV's in general are a pretty huge step up from MKIV's. I dunno if I'd be looking for a R32 over a GTI though, but I'll keep those opinions to myself sense that not what this thread is about. I say... if getting a MKV isn't going to put a considerable strain on your wallet compared to the MKIV, then go for its. Its just all around a better car.

JimmyT

Redneck Engineer
Car(s)
2011 135i
the best thing to do is test drive, or ride in a friend's MK V .:R. The refinement of the MK V chassis as compared to the MKIV is worth the price alone. I don't know how happy you are with your MK V GTI, it woud be difficult to justify the cost, upside down, or whatever to step out of that car into a new one. People have done it, but that is your decision. A lot of the feelings of satisfaction i have with my .:R are subjective measurements, perceived quality, handling, being exclusive, the color (blue), power, and rid quality.... they are hard to qualify in the form, but shine through in person. Eiter way, make an informed decision and have fun:thumbup:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
I own a MKV and have driven my friend's MKIV plenty of times, so I can offer some insight.

Both cars are great and offer something different. The MKIV is more raw and, with the manual transmission, you definitely feel more connected with it. It also has a classic design that just never gets old.

The MKV feels more refined and upscale all around. The interior draws a very fine line between VW and Audi, i.e. design, comfort, low road noise, auto headlights, rain-sensing wipers, etc. I really like the white/blue gauges; a nice touch and very original.

The exterior design is more grown up than the MKIV. That doesn't necessarily make it look better.. just different. Even the exhaust note sounds a little different. It's less gurgley (is that a word?) than the MKIV, which I like. It sounds like it's coming out of a $100,000 sportscar :cool:

You can definitely feel the the MKV has a superior chassis in normal driving but, especially, in spirited driving. I don't really remember how the stock handling felt but I can tell you with the H&R setup that I have now, it handles like a dream!

Of course, the biggest difference between the MKIV and MKV: DSG vs. manual. This will most likely be the deciding factor for you. After driving both long-term, I really can't say which transmission I like more. Like I said earlier, the manual gives you this sense of connection with the car and is more fun to drive overall, but you have to respect DSG for what it is. The technology behind it is quite amazing; it's a revolutionary transmission. I mean, it's more advanced the the sequential transmission Ferrari uses - that should put it into perspective. The paddle shifting is a lot of fun once you get used to it. I just love the perfect, buttery smooth shifting, every time. And when you're stuck in traffic, want to conserve fuel or need your right hand to eat, drink or whatever, you can always just move the shift lever to D. It's the perfect compromise for sport and comfort.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
Gurglingly is a word, bur gurgly is not. Go figure.

I personaly think that strictly from a performance perspective, that DSG is a much better feature. I think they messed up by making the R32 DSG only, because they'll lose alot of die-hards because of it, but other than that, DSG is pretty nifty.

Hell, I think I'd get a R32 over a GTI just for the blue that it comes in.

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I got rid of my SRT-4 last feb because even though it was fast... mean in a lot of ways and extremely efficient in regards to performance per dollar... it no longer did it for me. I found myself looking at other cars even slower ones wishing I had that something my car was missing. Being fast got old in a way because when I was driving home at 2am or early in the morning I did not want to wake up or drive tired to a FWD track car with a spiffed up neon interior... the seats and the shifter where freaking amazing though! Think of the MKV R32 seats except without the leather.

I miss the car at times but then I think of how being "teh f4st3r" just wasn't enough anymore... but being in a fast car was still a must. I found myself at winter time (though the SRT-4 is surprisingly good in the snow... even better than my Accord LX) I just wished I had something to play with in a snowy parking lot. Or something nice to look at when driving at night. But I was not going to down grade to an RSX to get it, it was just TOO much of a performance drop from my car. I insisted upon an EVO or an STi but after driving the STi a million times, I drove one for a day, hammering on it and what not... it got old.

I think this time around I need a complete package, and I also need to cope with not being the fastest car on the planet. But I do not want an MKV R32, they are too expensive for what they are IMO... I really like them but I will scrap the "niceness" to have godly power potential and handling at my fingertips with an EVO.

I fear the following with buying a new R32, or even a used MKV R32 in a few years... DSG scares me, sure it may be an amazing technology but a lot of those amazing technologies are retardedly (word?) expensive to fix and may have longevity issues. "Why is my SMG stuck? Failing?" says the E46 M3 guy. I just don't want to deal with that. Or the potential that these cars just can't take the sort of abuse of aggressive driving or road course days, I got that feeling when I felt a clunk every time I whipped through the gears in the MKV and yes I am a damn good driver, my friend thought it was me until he drove it. The gear change almost lagged... VW straight up scares me, because what if I fall in love with this car and then it just can't hack it without breaking and costing me tons... (like meeting a beautiful girl, shes got a great personality... sex is great but then you find out she has the herp or something down the road hahah)

What modifications can you possibly do to a VR6 to make it faster anyways? Anything or is it almost unresponsive? These cars look and sound amazing... but I have so many concerns.

And lastly I'd really consider a MKV GTI, the power potential is there... but FWD I am over. Traction issues I am over. OOPPS ITS RAINING, can't have fun... etc. AWD is usable power for the most part in any condition.

Ugh, frustrating...

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
"Why is my SMG stuck? Failing?" says the E46 M3 guy. I just don't want to deal with that.

What modifications can you possibly do to a VR6 to make it faster anyways?

Stock vs. stock, the MkV is better in a lot of small ways. Suspension, brakes, chassis stiffness, xenon lights.

The VW DSG made by Borg Warner is state of the art and is significantly better than the BMW SMG unit. Its so much better that BMW is going to be moving to it in the future.

Significant mods for the VR6? Intake, exhaust, cams, turbos, they are all out there. :rolleyes:

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
MKIV > MKV
true manual, could handle more power, simple lines, nice seats, simple yet refined

Mondo1210

Passed Driver's Ed
Ive owed both the MKIV and the MKV. I actually traded my MKIV for the MKV, to tell you the truth if you want a sporty felling car with an agressive growel than the MKIV is for you. If you want something thats more quite down and refined than the MKV is for you. In my oppinion I think the MKV is better for many reasons, it a lot more quiet, its way smoother on the road, it has more space and way more features. I think the ride on the MKIV was just to rough, i guess probably since I live in NYC. Potholes outhere really suck ass, but with the MKV you really dont feel them as much. I loved the MKIV but i was tired of having to shift every second just to get through traffic, cuz traffic out here really suxs also. My MKIV had the HID, navigation and the harmon karmon ipod system but even though i dont have any of that on the new one, I still think its way better made car. My opinion. Ohhhhh and I think the DSG is really good, why do you think must car companies are adding that to their vehicles.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
maybe around a track. In a straight line an MKIV R32 will rape a MKV. people were running low 14's stock and high 13's with a chip and exhaust if my memory serves me correctly.

and a lot of people Sir, believe buying a VW for straight line speed is irrational.

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
and a lot of people Sir, believe buying a VW for straight line speed is irrational.

no more irrational than claiming a car that is slower is faster. you are talking about two R32's afterall. I dont think you can say for sure the MKV is faster around most tracks than a MKIV so all you can go by is what you know for sure.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
no more irrational than claiming a car that is slower is faster. you are talking about two R32's afterall. I dont think you can say for sure the MKV is faster around most tracks than a MKIV so all you can go by is what you know for sure.

Maybe true, but I don't think the OP's original question was, "Which car is faster?"

I think someone put it pretty well before. They're two different animals realy, and it all depends on exactly what you're looking for. MKIV's in general are nowhere near as "nice" when compared to the MKV's, whether we're talking about a Rabbit or R32. If you're looking for a smaller and more stripped down car, I think the MKIV is more of your type of car. If you like a bit more refinement, and don't mind the heftier price tag that comes with it, then get a MKV. I think the performance between the two is so debatable, that you could probably never quanifiably prove that one is an overall better performer than the other. So, instead take a more qualitative observation of the vehicles, and I think you'll see that the MKV clearly win out in that regard.