GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Durability

WKC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Alright guys, so I've read tons and tons and tons of DSG haters talking about how they do not hold to anything more than what an R32 can put out. I am soon purchasing a 2008 R32 and plan on doing a few performance modifications, such as:

Evoms Intake
Neuspeed Exhaust
GIAC Programming
Haldex Controller

Now, my question is, will the DSG in the new R32's hold up to these mods? I can't imagine it wouldn't, I see a few of you on the forums doing far more extensive mods (i.e. CVP/HPA manifolds) with DSG, and I would just like to get a definitive answer if possible on this. I've searched and searched and read and read about DSG on GolfMkv and VWVortex, but it seems like VW is quoting a limit to cover their butts and DSG haters are driving a lot of that hype. Aynway, there's a lot of great info on these forums and I've read a lot of great info about the car, I hope to check in soon with my number :smile:

DeZZar

VR32W
Car(s)
08 5DR R32 DSG
Yes.

I have it on good word (read dealer with sufficient interest to understand vehicle technicalities) that the DSG box in a GTi & GT will handle up to 450nm peak torque before electronically limiting engine power. The R32 would match this at least.

Unless you turbo the car - you will never be anywhere near this.

Also note that HPA doesn't require a dsg upgrade for its 1st stage turbo kit.

happy modding!

STATUS

*STATUS*
Car(s)
e46 M3, R32,
Here I know probably better than any one and thats because of the position im in, cannot say how i know you gotta trust me on this on.. DSG WILL HOLD A VAST AMOUNT OF POWER. It is not that DSG cannot handle the power its the TUNING(flash/chip) that limits DSG's capability to hold power... if you have more questions PM me

wale

Go Kart Champion
Alright guys, so I've read tons and tons and tons of DSG haters talking about how they do not hold to anything more than what an R32 can put out. I am soon purchasing a 2008 R32 and plan on doing a few performance modifications, such as:

Evoms Intake
Neuspeed Exhaust
GIAC Programming
Haldex Controller

Now, my question is, will the DSG in the new R32's hold up to these mods? I can't imagine it wouldn't, I see a few of you on the forums doing far more extensive mods (i.e. CVP/HPA manifolds) with DSG, and I would just like to get a definitive answer if possible on this. I've searched and searched and read and read about DSG on GolfMkv and VWVortex, but it seems like VW is quoting a limit to cover their butts and DSG haters are driving a lot of that hype. Aynway, there's a lot of great info on these forums and I've read a lot of great info about the car, I hope to check in soon with my number :smile:

i dnt think u will get close to the 2.0t when it comes to torque, so you really shouldnt have much to worry about... there are a number of people here making close to or even more than 300 ft lbs torque at the wheels...

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
I've heard of DSG GTI's making nearlly 300hp and loads more torque with the DSG and no problems yet. However, there hasn't realy been any long term stress testing done to see exactly what it would take to make it fail. I'm gonna go with everyone else here that the R32 with the current mods available probably wont make enough toque to hurt the DSG. Not that the R doesn't have torque, but I just the the DSG is that strong.

MKV Shqiptar

Got the diseeaaassee
Car(s)
hhhhaaaaaa
as long as you dont beat the piss out of it, you're tranny should hold up fine. that and vw always under-rated the durability of their motor/tranny's.

reddvdub

VF Engineered R32
Car(s)
08' TR .:R32
For those mods your def. safe... as for the DSG it will hold a good amount of tq before it destroys itself, before my accident I was at 320lbs tq on the stock tranny w/ my GTI, no problems for the life of the car which unfortunately was only 35k miles... Although, of course a clutch pack upgrade will be needed to attain more tq i.e. 350lbs.+

evil6

Car(s)
R32
Here I know probably better than any one and thats because of the position im in, cannot say how i know you gotta trust me on this on.. DSG WILL HOLD A VAST AMOUNT OF POWER. It is not that DSG cannot handle the power its the TUNING(flash/chip) that limits DSG's capability to hold power... if you have more questions PM me

Makes sense to me since VW has and still races this transmission successfully in europe. The DSG has been proven many times over before VW released it to us, the public. They know it can handle far more power if the software is properly tuned.

twinkers

is cheesing.
Mine failed around 30,000 with some abuse at the track and Stage2+ fuel pump.

STATUS

*STATUS*
Car(s)
e46 M3, R32,
DSG CAN HOLDMADD power and take a beating with ease