GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is the 2008 R32 SOOO great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
I just don't get it, sure it has nice guages and build feel and it's AWD and sounds amazing but to be honest... the CnD specs on it where aweful for the price it demands. 0-60 in 6.6 Seconds?! 1/4 time of 14.6 Seconds? PFF yeh that is where I want to spend almost $36,000 bucks. I am also curious as to how well a MKV GTi would do against it with some suspension upgrades and bolt ons... seems like it would be a very good comparison. I mean I do understand that this isn't supposed to be the unrefined EVO or STi but DAMN make it FASTER! Unless people are ok with getting tooled on by SRT-4 Calibers with just a AGP Wastegate and an Exhaust (that car is faster even in stock form)

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Its a larger displacment NA GTI with awd and a big brake kit...

Fully loaded GTI: $26000
BBK: $4000
AWD: $10,000
= $40,000

Prices i posted are ballpark from what i've looked up. $36k i'd say is a decent price when AWD and a BBK kit is at cost... Plus, i dont know the price difference in engines... The potential for this car is much higher.

teriba

Ready to race!
Its a larger displacment NA GTI with awd and a big brake kit...

Fully loaded GTI: $26000
BBK: $4000
AWD: $10,000
= $40,000

Prices i posted are ballpark from what i've looked up. $36k i'd say is a decent price when AWD and a BBK kit is at cost... Plus, i dont know the price difference in engines... The potential for this car is much higher.

It's not a very good BBK. It's still single piston and a proper Brembo BBK is only about $2500.

Aargh_32

Ready to race!

Aargh_32

Ready to race!
I just don't get it, sure it has nice guages and build feel and it's AWD and sounds amazing but to be honest... the CnD specs on it where aweful for the price it demands. 0-60 in 6.6 Seconds?! 1/4 time of 14.6 Seconds? PFF yeh that is where I want to spend almost $36,000 bucks. I am also curious as to how well a MKV GTi would do against it with some suspension upgrades and bolt ons... seems like it would be a very good comparison. I mean I do understand that this isn't supposed to be the unrefined EVO or STi but DAMN make it FASTER! Unless people are ok with getting tooled on by SRT-4 Calibers with just a AGP Wastegate and an Exhaust (that car is faster even in stock form)

If you are going to try and start a fight at least use the right numbers. This is from Car and Driver's web site. Getting schooled by people in stop light drags hasn't really mattered to me since I got out of High School.

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are going to try and start a fight at least use the right numbers. This is from Car and Driver's web site. Getting schooled by people in stop light drags hasn't really mattered to me since I got out of High School.

Automobile mag said 6.2 seconds 0-60... .7 seconds is a huge gap. It is so bad because look at what you can buy for $36,000!

EVO IX's handled better, better braking and more than a FULL second faster than this car... and for $6,000 less. Interior isn't worth that much...

kirk180

Go Kart Champion

Agreed. Here's a nice little sum up of the review.

The biggest test came when we took both cars to Chrysler Proving Ground's tight road course. After driving the cars back to back (again with the same wheels and tires) I wrote in my logbook, "I bet my slowest lap in the R32 was still faster than my best lap in the GTI." And my seat-of-the-pants impression was correct.

Laps in the R32 were, on average, 1.3 seconds faster than the GTI, despite the GTI's significant acceleration advantage. While the R32's lateral grip was a contributor to the faster laptimes, its ability to put down power was no doubt the biggest help. The GTI scrambled out of turns, spinning its front tires - at times even in third gear. The R32 simply rocketed out of the corners with no drama.

After driving an R32 at the Streets of Willow race course in California, I commented that the R32 was a terminal understeerer. This particular R32, however, behaved quite differently. The rear half of the car played an active role in the corners, rotating willingly, especially under trail-braking. Under throttle, the Haldex all-wheel drive system transfers enough power forward to pull the R32 back in line. Compared with the razor-sharp R32, the GTI fumbled around the track - and its brakes faded horribly after a few laps. Neither the aroma of cooked brakes nor the long, squishy pedal travel was to be found on the R32.

So while the GTI is very quick in a straight line, and the Koni FSD / Eibach Pro suspension kit makes it look and ride great, the R32 is still the MkV to beat when the roads turn twisty. In terms of straight-line performance only, the R32 is probably not worth the price premium, but you can't put a price tag on its much more civilized demeanor. Unlike the GTI, the R32 doesn't accidentally light up its front tires pulling away from every stoplight, and its brake pedal doesn't feel like mushy oatmeal.

This is one comparison that's too close to call - it comes down to a matter of taste. Around town, the GTI is our choice, but for back-road blasts and track days, we'd spend the extra money for the R32.

BORA1.8T

HKID
Car(s)
07 GTI, 04 330Xi

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Automobile mag said 6.2 seconds 0-60... .7 seconds is a huge gap. It is so bad because look at what you can buy for $36,000!

EVO IX's handled better, better braking and more than a FULL second faster than this car... and for $6,000 less. Interior isn't worth that much...

zomg, do you mean to say I could have bought an Evo?! :rolleyes:

Only in the US is the R32 compared to the Evo because it belongs to a segment that doesn't exist here. That's why the R32 is praised in Europe and.. well, not so praised here - unless you get it (you don't).

The R32 wasn't built to compete with the Evo or other cars meant to be driven by boy racers. Drive them both (long-term, especially) and you'll see what I mean.

Automobile Mag must have not known about Launch Control. I can't think of any other reason why they achieved a slower time.

Eilig

I coulda had a V8

And R&T said 6.0... So what! I find the Subaru and Evo ugly and very primitive in their execution and day to day driving experience. Don't care much for turbos either, I've owned four from different manufacturers (Saab, Porsche, Chrysler, VW) over the last 20 years.

You want acceleration and 1/4 miles times buy a ZX14 or Hyabusa...

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
And R&T said 6.0... So what! I find the Subaru and Evo ugly and very primitive in their execution and day to day driving experience. Don't care much for turbos either, I've owned four from different manufacturers (Saab, Porsche, Chrysler, VW) over the last 20 years.

You want acceleration and 1/4 miles times buy a ZX14 or Hyabusa...

Motor Trend achieved 5.8 sec.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If you want a awd drag car get the new STI. The R32 is a grown up car that can tear up the track too(twisties) while being civilized in the city something a STI cant do. The GTI can be had faster than the R32 but it lacks in other depts...Not to say the GTI is not an amazing car but the R32 is that much better. Should they have bumped the HP to that 300hp mark, YES!!! but this is what we have been dealt and in no way is it a disappointment when it comes to a amazing all around drivers car.

Status
Not open for further replies.