GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have a Mac Mini???

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Im looking to get one... I have my car all set up for a PC but the mobo fried in my last case and i stole the HD for my new computer. Just looking for reviews and id like to know if the ahrd drive and optical drive are upgradeable... I want more than 80-120 gb and i loved being able to burn DVD's while driving.

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
I have two of them. I just upgraded my hd because the old one died, but they are sata 2.5 inch drives that don't have super huge capacities. If you buy the one with the superdrive you could burn away right from the get-go.
I have an older one with the motorola chip and a newer one with the intel chip. As long as you put a gig of ram in it you will be speeding along in more ways than one. :wink:

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Awesome, ive been reading that you get a big speed boost if you use an external firewire HD instead. Faster transfer and higher capacity. This will be going in my car :thumbup: Im looking at one of the new ones, 1.83ghz dual core with a gig of ram.

Will pretty much any standard slim optical drive work? I have one dvd-cdrw and another dvdrw that were in my last car PC.

salukiwildcat

Nun Bewbs FTW!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Unfortunately, optical drives are not swappable on the mac mini. Just make sure you get one with the superdrive from he get-go, and you'll have everything you need. Blu-Ray drives won't be coming out for some time on the mini, so you'll just need to purchase an external when the need arises.

Drives are swappable, although it's a huge, HUGE pain (trust me, i'd worked as a mac tech before I went back to grad school this year). I'd recommend what a previous poster did and just purchase an external. Go to sites like macmall.com, newegg.com, or tigerdirect.com, and you'll be able to find several hard drives that match the form factor of the mac mini, and are stackable below the mini.

Just make sure you get 2 gigs of ram, you'll want it with the less potent core2 processor that they come with. Overall, they're great machines - the only reason I sold mine is due to the opportunity of acquiring a Mac Pro coming about - it's my baby :)

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Mmmm, mac pro... Im kinda sad... with the amount that i ended up spending on this beast of a computer i could have had a top of the line Mac...

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
I love cracking into the case to swap out the HD or ram on those minis. I found a putty knife works great. Good luck and post pics if and when you complete this.