GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'08 Exhaust flapper mod

FS26

Master of Disaster
Just had a chance to get under the car to do the flapper mod.

Just one problem, there is no vacumn hose to control the flapper. It is looks like it's electrically controlled, not vacumn controlled. The black "hose" looks like an insulated electrical cable.

The only solonoid valve I could find is on the right side of the exhaust (as siting in the driver's seat). The "hose" has no visible clamp on it like the Otiker clamp seen on the '04 flapper threads . My "hose" just runs into the black plastic part of the solonoid can (opposite the actuating rod). No protruding barb for the hose to fit onto, and doesn't look like a vacumn can to me.

Am I missing something, or has VW gone to an ECU electrically controlled flapper for '08?

Regards,
FS

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
WHats this flapper mod? And is it on 07's? What does this do?

TuRk

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV R32
Pretty sure there werent US R32's in 07

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Oh damn, where is my compass? Im in the wrong forum. lol.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
its an .:R thing, I first heard about it on the MK4 R32s, theres something like a little flap on the exhaust side of the motor, and keeping it open has benifits like better gas milage and a bit more power. At least that how it was on the old R32s.
It still wont make the new .:R's fast enough to pull against a GTI though. lol, just pokin fun guys. :thumbup:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
the flapper keeps the exhuast quieter at idle and lower speeds, and gives a louder, freeer flowing exhaust when you step on the gas

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
nice. :thumbup:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
One of my friend's has a MkIV R32 and has his done. He even has an electric motor to make it quiet and loud from a switch. However, his dad has a MkV CW R32. He said he did it to the new R, but it's not as loud as the MkIV because it is before the resonator or something? I'm quoting him as I have no idea.

Neon Guy

Tin Can Racer
Car(s)
1998 SPEC Neon
It builds exhaust pressure.... helps with low end torque.

Certain Motorcycle motors have been using this system for a long time now.

la3

Car(s)
VW R32
Flapper valve

It looks like you have found it. The black rubber vacuum hose (a little larger than 1/4" D) just slips onto the tube in the flapper valve housing. To keep the flapper valve from closing, get a 3/16" ball bearing (Home Depot has them) and some silicone spray. Slip the hose off the little pipe, squirt a little bit of the silicone spray into the hose and stick the ball bearing in. Then put the hose back on the flapper valve, pushing the ball further in. Now you can enjoy the sound all the time! :thumbup:

FS26

Master of Disaster
Thanks for the help. I feel like such a putz since it IS a vacumn hose after all.

I used a brass 3/16 barb adapter with a brass cap to plug off the hose and a 3/16 vacumn cap to seal the vac can on the solonoid.

I like the idea of taping off the hole inside the vac can, but I lacked the intestinal fortitude to pry of the plastic tabs on the canister.

Regards,
FS