GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

running 19" wheels - what's the worst that can happen?

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
really dig the look of 19" wheels, but i also autocross, and would like to start tracking. aside from slowing me down on the track or autocross course, what's the worst that can happen by running 19" wheels and 235/35-19 tires? is .35 not enough sidewall?

if time is the only issue, then i'm good since i drive for fun, not for competition :cool:

BoostedThrills

showshinedetail.com
Car(s)
G35
35 is a skinny side wall for auto-x. You can probably run that size if you really had to, but there probably is the risk of scratching up your rim if you're cornering really hard and hit an imperfection in the pavement or something.

Also, a 19" wheel is going to be heavier than a 17" wheel, which will adversely affect your handling and acceleration. However, you will have more responsiveness out of the 35 series side wall than the 45 on a 17" tire because it is stiffer and will react a bit more quickly to your input.

Ultimately, I would recommend possibly having a set of 19's for driving around daily and if you're going to go to some shows, but also having a set of lightweight 17's for tracking, whether it be drag or auto-x.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I love a wheel size smaller and stretching the tire width on the rim.