GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REAR LEFT BRAKE SMOKING!!!

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
so yeh, i just picked my car up today and drove it home which was about 50 miles and the car was running fine. but when i went to my friends house to show him it, we were driving around the neighborhood and i was gonna switch to let him drive it. when i got out i smelled something funny and knew it wasnt good. then i saw that rear left and rear left only brake was smoking. the e-brake was not up or anything. and if it was im guessing both rear brakes would be smoking but i know for a fact that the e-brake was all the way down. does anyone have a clue to what that could be? i just dont want my wheel catching on fire. lol. HELP HELP HELP!

:eek:

BLACKMAGICGTI'06

Rally Car Champion
i would def. contact the dealer about this issue it's a brand new car and anything that goes wrong even the tinyest little thing should be reported, however the car being new has alot of things that just have to "break in" my fronts smoked after the first time i drove and i wasn't drivin hard, the brakes may have been smokin when you went home and you just didn't notice it. does it feel as if the car is draggin its ass?

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
no, it doesnt feel like its dragging at all. it feels perfectly fine. i was hoping kinda that it was just a new car and stuff has to get broken in but it just kinda scares me. was there a lot of smoke coming off ur brakes?

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I mean, like you said its new, so take it back to the dealership, and make them fix it. The only thing I could think based on the symptoms, is E-brake, maybe the pads aren't adjusted right, even if they touch a little, it could cause smoke, but if it is a little, you wouldn't necessarily notice the difference in your driving.....let us know what they say

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Hmmm...that doesn't sound very good. There is nothing to "break in" on a new car that would require the brakes to be be smoking.

How many miles did the car have on it when you picked it up? I would imagine the dealer test drive would have revealed this.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
the smoke was significan i wouldn't say it was alot but it was def. noticable, the smell was more the issue that bothered me i knew there would be alot of stuff burning up with the car only having 7 miles on it when picked up

Is this normal for a VW? I have never owned one, but I can tell you on the last 3 new cars I have owned, I have never seen an issue like this, nor do I think it is normal!

BLACKMAGICGTI'06

Rally Car Champion
The rotors/pads on all new(never driven) cars need time to "seat" pads matching up to the rotors, it really depends on the amount of miles put on the car before you bought it if the car was used for testdrives and such you wouldn't experience the smoking or the smell however if you are the first to drive the car and use the brakes to slow down from 55 yuou'd notice it when you got out of the car. Like i said have the dealer check it out either way. Lets just hope for the best.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
when i picked the car up, it had 10 miles on it. i just took the car to work and when i got out i couldnt see or smell anything abnormal so im hoping maybe it did have something to do with breaking in. but im definitely gonna call the dealership up(probably right now) and see what they say about it. ill let you guys know what they said. and thanks for the help

Well, looks like we have our FIRST LEMON! j/k One thing you didn't tell was how hard you were using the brakes, also how fast you were going. You don't have to lie.

I took my car out 3 days after getting it and drove 125mph with my cousins. We had to stop a bit obruptly because this was and area with 2 stop lights and we got a red light. So as I was slowing down, everything was fine. We continued going fast afterward. Well, about 3 minutes later I notice smoke or something coming from the back of the car. Came on the left of the car so I figured it was stuff in the exhaust being burned out. Once we got out of the car, it smelled bad! One of my cousins said burning clutch. I dunno. Never happened again though.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
lmao! no i wasnt going 125. i havent even gone past 80 yet. and i was barely using the brakes. i mean i wasnt slamming on them or anything. i called up the dealership and spoke with a mechanic from the service department. he said that the brakes have some coating on them when theyre new and thats what was prbably burning off. i havent noticed anymore so i think everything is alright. but with my luck, my gti is probably a lemon.:cry: