GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What will it take to beat an EVO???

MKVowner

Ready to race!
Hey all,

Just trying to figure out the mods I need. I sold my Evo and bought this because this seemed more practical...and i know the GTI cannot beat an EVO off the line...but if I pulled up next to one going 20, what would it take to pull away from him? I am planning on getting the 91 octane APR chip, so i'll be at 244hp and 284trq, what else do i need though? I will only be running 91 octane in it...how big of a turbo will that take? Do you think that an APR stage III will do it once they develop it? Thanks guys.

mattyice

Passed Driver's Ed
your going to need at least APR's Stage III if/when it comes out, coming from an EVO you should know it will take alot, it will take even more to beat an EVO IX

MKVowner

Ready to race!
mattyice said:
your going to need at least APR's Stage III if/when it comes out, coming from an EVO you should know it will take alot, it will take even more to beat an EVO IX

With that Stage III kit...will I be able to get those number up in the 300+ WHP/TRQ range, while still using 91 octane?

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Well, I read in another thread that APR is having a hard time developing a trubo kit since its direct injection, so who knows:iono:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Herby said:
Well, I read in another thread that APR is having a hard time developing a trubo kit since its direct injection, so who knows:iono:

Direct injection doesn't change how an internal combustion engine works, and how forced induction works with that.

The biggest issues with all modern cars is the stronger EPA standards and the restrictions that imposes to gaining higher performance.
I just don't see what is meant by "hard time developing a turbo kit.." I read that on a thread and it seems the messenger has something askew.

Yes, the 2.0 turbo is a new engine and of course it's going to take some time to get a full working "kit". However, an engine needs 3 things to work; air, fuel, and spark.
The DI engine still works on that same principle. The difference is that the fuel gets injected into the cylinder instead of up before the intake valve. So, the turbo is still doing it's job of compressing the intake air charge. The injectors have to be calibrated to deliver the proper amount of fuel for the amount of air charge being introduced.
A larger turbo is simply more capable of compressing more air during the same rate or time frame of valve opening.

I guess I'd like to see a better explanation of why DI would interfer with a larger turbo.
This may be more related to the design of the exhaust manifold which may make it harder to design a simpler bolt on replacement turbo. It could also be an EPA issue.
But, in terms of what makes a turbo engine work I don't see how DI would work against
a larger turbo.

TT

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
great I have some questions from 2006 I'd like answered as well. TTT with eronious outdated info to boot