PDA

View Full Version : Differences in US and Euro Spec R32 Tail Lights

Raven6t9
12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Im deciding whether I want US spec or Euro Spec R32 taillights, but I dont know much about the differences. All I "know" or think I know so far is that the Euro lights have an amber section and white rear fog, while the US spec have red rear fog, LED outer area, and need no VAG-COM to hook up. Someone please simplify this as best as you can. I would like all the specs on each, and of course pictures always help.
Although opinions are welcome, please, dont make this a battle out of which is better, there is no "better", its all subjective, so please, just the facts so people like me can decide for themselves.:thumbup:
Thanks guys!

sparkstack
12-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Euro's have amber inner turn signals and one reverse light / one fog light on the inside pair of lights. They need wires + vagcom to install correctly.

US Spec, has no amber inner signals and two reverse lights. They don't need wires + vagcom to install correctly. They also have LED side markers built in.

Take a look Here. (http://oempl.us/index.php?cPath=23_28&osCsid=666aefbe51287a3d03914ad36b6f4553)

Meat
12-20-2007, 05:16 PM
If you do not have a Euro-wsitch you do not need VAGCOM or wiring. I have Euro spec tails in my GTI and they just plug and play and work fine. If you want to activate the rear fog feature you will need to get the Euro-switch, wires, and do some VAGCOM work to get it operational but it's not needed. They will work right out of the box.

Raven6t9
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
That simplifies a lot Meat, thanks! :thumbup:

Raven6t9
12-20-2007, 05:21 PM
So which of the tiny white ones light up on each? the inner white ones or the outer? is it possible to add a wire and bulb to make all 4 turn on in reverse? And does anyone have a picture of Both EU and US tails in action? I want to see the LED's lit up!

Raven6t9
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Anyone have pics of some US spec R32's in action? They're just as dark as the EUR R32 tails right?

sparkstack
12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
So which of the tiny white ones light up on each? the inner white ones or the outer?

It's my understanding that without vag-com'ing them up, the outer white lights won't do anything. Meat, you might want to chim in on this...

The inner pair of white lights are the US reversing lights. US spec lights don't have a rear fog light. The euro lights have one red, one white, and you need a vag-com and a euro light switch to activate the red fog light.

Raven6t9
12-23-2007, 06:41 AM
I think Im leaning towards the US spec lights anyway. Whats all the functions of those? And are the US specs fully functional without VAG COM?

sparkstack
12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes.

crabpot
12-23-2007, 01:56 PM
US and euro are both plug and play if you want them to function as they normally do.

If you want the euros to have amber turns and rear fog then you need vag-com, euroswitch and some splicing.

Raven6t9
12-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Awesome SparkStack and CrabPot, you guys have been informative. I think I only have two questions left.
1) Will the euro switch do anything to effect the US rears at all?
2) Does the turn signal and brake light up full circle or half circle?
-And maybe another-
3) Ive searched, but does anyone know a cheap place to get a set of US spec R32's?
I think the cheapest Ive found was $325 from Oempl.us

Plus I want to thank you for all your help guys, and if I dont get back to you before Tuesday, have a Happy Holidays!!

RobbDizzle
12-24-2007, 10:48 AM
1) No
2) Full circle brake, outer half turnsig.
3) The only difference between US R32 tails and US GTI tails is the tinting. If you want the US R32 look for cheaper, go with these...

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30134

Raven6t9
12-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I thought the US .:R32 lights had some LED's?

RobbDizzle
12-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Really? That's the first I heard of it...I don't see where though...

EDIT: I've seen them, nevermind. IMO the LED's aren't that big of a deal, if they're worth it to you though go for it.

Raven6t9
12-25-2007, 08:17 AM
I kinda like the LED factor, although I cant seem to find any pics of the lights lit up. Im not really sure I like the unsemetrical euro fog light really.

bsosa69
12-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I kinda like the LED factor, although I cant seem to find any pics of the lights lit up. Im not really sure I like the unsemetrical euro fog light really.

Look at post #14

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16275

bsosa69
12-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Also the leds blink with your turn signals and hazards, light up with the brakes, and blink when ever you close and open the doors with your key (just like the other lights)

A small feature and pretty cool, I have them and love them

Raven6t9
12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Oh so its ONE friggin led on each side!?!?! Thats a little disapointing. But they light up full circle too huh? Thats cool, cus mine only light up half circle. Im not sure ONE led is worth buying .:R tails, I thought that instead of bulbs it had led's behind the lenses, now that would be cool.
Now if only I could buy Euro sides with the US hatch lights, then I wouldnt have that ugly rear fog plus I would have amber turn signals. :rolleyes: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
If I buy that set, would anyone want to buy the other parts I dont use? (US tails with Euro rear fog):thumbup:

bsosa69
12-26-2007, 07:41 PM
I think some people just remove the rear fog (I think its just an extra red lens, might be wrong though)

Raven6t9
12-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Im not 100%, but I think its all one unit and the red lense doesnt come out. I found that TMTuning sells a euro R32 tail set up with US inner lights. Thats the rout Im going! (but after I start to add some performance!:thumbup: )

crabpot
12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Im not 100%, but I think its all one unit and the red lense doesnt come out. I found that TMTuning sells a euro R32 tail set up with US inner lights. Thats the rout Im going! (but after I start to add some performance!:thumbup: )

I bought the euro r32 tail lights.

What I did was remove the red lens out of the euro tails (I didn't want the rear fog) and replaced it with a clear lens from my stock lights. Works perfectly and the lights act as they should.

Raven6t9
12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Thats very valuable info crabpot, thanks. So are they now just like US spec R32 tails or are there other differences? And how hard is this to do?

crabpot
12-29-2007, 02:11 PM
The only differences between the us spec and euro spec with the rear fog removed is that there are no LEDs on the side of the lights like the US spec and that you can have amber turns on the euro spec.

You can just operate the euro spec as plug and play and they will function just like your normal tail lights right now but will be the darker r32 style. To get the amber turns to work requires splicing a couple of wires and doing some vag-com work. It isn't very difficult at all.

Here is a page describing the install for the euro tails:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140&highlight=r32

The install of the lights takes 15 - 20 minutes tops if you want them to act like plug and play. Takes another 10 minutes to do the splicing and vag-com if you want to go that route. Very easy install.

Raven6t9
01-02-2008, 03:31 AM
O.k., so if I want the amber turn signals, I have to do splicing AND Vag-com. Very helpful. So what do the R32 tails do before you Vag-com and splice? Where is your turn signal then?

RobbDizzle
01-02-2008, 10:31 AM
O.k., so if I want the amber turn signals, I have to do splicing AND Vag-com. Very helpful. So what do the R32 tails do before you Vag-com and splice? Where is your turn signal then?

They'll look/work like your stock US taillights, with a full circle brake and outer half circle turnsig.

crabpot
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Precisely

Raven6t9
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
but if the outer half of the turn signal is already amber, then why would I need vag-com to hook them up? Do you get what Im saying? You said I need Vag-com to make the amber turn signals to work, but if they work without vag-com/splicing, then whats the point?

Raven6t9
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Oh crap, brainfart! I dont know why I keep thinking that the outer half of the R32 tails are amber!!! My bad fellas!! :wink:

crabpot
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the amber turn is in the middle of the light.

BlueByeU
01-03-2008, 10:02 AM

I'll take some picts of my rear lights this afternoon and post them up for you.:wink:

RobbDizzle
01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Here's what the euro turnsigs look like (pic courtesy of badassbaldie)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/baldie727/Eurotails.jpg

and here's some of my rear fog...i actually like the asymmetrical look....very subtle yet different...only ppl who know what they're looking for will notice. I don't have euro tails though; I have US tails with a euro Golf GT rear fog I bought from OEMPL.US. I'm going to be upgrading to the euro set as soon as I get some cashflow going :happyanim:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/AvusBluR/DSC08833.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/AvusBluR/DSC08464.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/AvusBluR/DSC08472.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/AvusBluR/DSC08868.jpg