GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any R32 owners mind taking pic of auto-dimming rearview mirror?

BodegaBay

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
...Thanks. I'd like to see what it looks like since the GTI's does not have this option. Might like to add this mod to GTI.

Please include pic of the plastic covers that hide the wires also. Thanks guys.

SlyOne

SlyOne
Car(s)
VW GOLF R32 2008
Sorry but I have a GTi MK5 and it comes with autodimming light....
Have you pressed the button under the rearview mirror it will show a green light?

Last edited:

BodegaBay

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sly, the MkV GTI in US do not have option for autodimming mirror. However, I did read that the MkV R32 does have it and was curious what it looked like (if it's similar to the one in Audi A3s).

Mind if you took a pic of the mirror in your OZ GTI?

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
Sorry, not the best photos. I'm hoping Santa brings me a new camera.

BodegaBay

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thanks Wakehead! Mind if I link your photos in another thread in the GTI section?

SlyOne

SlyOne
Car(s)
VW GOLF R32 2008
Sly, the MkV GTI in US do not have option for autodimming mirror. However, I did read that the MkV R32 does have it and was curious what it looked like (if it's similar to the one in Audi A3s).

Mind if you took a pic of the mirror in your OZ GTI?

Wow i didn't release that was the case. I will take a few pics tonight...about 8 hours away.

BodegaBay

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Not at all.

WakeHead: just curious, how is the mirror's auto-dimming feature manually turned off? There looks to be a button on the bottom side of the mirror housing just below the two photocells but I'm unsure from the pic. Thanks.

SlyOne said:
Wow i didn't release that was the case. I will take a few pics tonight...about 8 hours away.

Yep, some of things we're deprived of here in the US. Thanks for the pics too -- would you mind if you included some pics of the plastic conduit and covers that shroud the wiring? Thanks Sly.

JohnHS

Passed Driver's Ed
The button on the bottom does turn off the auto-dim function. There's a green light that comes on when auto-dim is turned on.

Auto-dim is one of those things that really seems useless... until you have it. I'm loving it on my R32. My A4 was 6 months away from the model that came with the auto-dim. :-(

Now I just wish I could get rid of that green light when it's turned on.

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
The button on the bottom does turn off the auto-dim function. There's a green light that comes on when auto-dim is turned on.

Two interesting things about this...

1) My 2000 GTI VR6 came with standard auto dim rear view mirror.
2) No off button on the mirror on the 2000 GTI VR6.

I things its amazing that this a several hundred dollar options on a lot of cars.

Katie83

Ready to race!
Sorry to drag up an old thread...but is there supposed to be 2 green lights at the bottom of the mirror when the auto-dimming is on, or just one? B/c on mine on my R32, only the left one is lit up green, and I looked in the owner's manual and couldn't find anything that addressed this issue...

Thanks in advance!