GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. S2000

DubDriver17

Oval Newbie
My buddy has an S2000 and was thouroughly impressed with my GTI. He is a good guy, not a ricer or anything. He actually came with me to get my car lol. Anyway, he was like, I wonder how your car does against mine. So we went.

I pulled him right off the line through 1st, 2nd, and halfway through 3rd he was doin that 9 grand V-Tec crap and just started walkin away. Gotta admit the car has some balls, but then again, I still have yet to get APR tuned, the we'll see whats up.

When I told him the numbers off the APR website, he was like yea, I don't need to race you again after you get the chip...

GTI2007

There is indeed a seperate forum for this kind of thread but nobody is actually posting their threads into it, so that the administrators always have to move them to the right place.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I wondered if a thread like this would ever show up. One of my neighbors has a S2000, I had never met him before and the day I drove up in my GTI he ran out and was really nice asking all kind of questions and checking it out.

I was messing around one night with an S2000 and I thought it would've ate me up.... but it was pretty even until the shifts came around (I've got dsg) I could tell at every shift he would fall back more.

Deagle said:
Gives them something to do I guess lol.

haha

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
DubDriver17 said:
I pulled him right off the line through 1st, 2nd, and halfway through 3rd he was doin that 9 grand V-Tec crap and just started walkin away. Gotta admit the car has some balls, but then again, I still have yet to get APR tuned, the we'll see whats up.

The S2000 is a pure sports car---more than the GTI will ever be. It takes a lot of respect and skill to drive it well.

I obsessed about owning an S2000 for about 2 years. Found a perfect slightly used one and test drove and began all the paper work for it---right before the GTI debuted in the US. I bought a GTI and have no regrets.

I know my GTI will never be able to match the S2000 on the track. It's a true sports car in every sense of the word. But at the same time, I couldn't live with it on a day-to-day basis--as my main car.

I'd still like to have one in my collection someday but for now, the GTI is plenty fun and wa~ay more practical.

Cjeckert

Drag Racing Champion
s2000 is like my 924S its amazing at being a true sports car great on the track but a total little bitch to live with all the time not to mention it sucking ur wallet dry.

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
ewoo said:
The S2000 is a pure sports car---more than the GTI will ever be. It takes a lot of respect and skill to drive it well.

I obsessed about owning an S2000 for about 2 years. Found a perfect slightly used one and test drove and began all the paper work for it---right before the GTI debuted in the US. I bought a GTI and have no regrets.

I know my GTI will never be able to match the S2000 on the track. It's a true sports car in every sense of the word. But at the same time, I couldn't live with it on a day-to-day basis--as my main car.

I'd still like to have one in my collection someday but for now, the GTI is plenty fun and wa~ay more practical.

Precisely why I traded my S2000 in for my GTI :)

Sigfod

Ready to race!
I watched an acquaintance race an S2000 in T2 SCCA Nationals. He placed 3rd w/ a broken shifter stuck in 4th or 3rd. Simply awesome against the Camaros, Firebirds, and M3. One of the best drives I have ever seen.

dmclone

Oval Champion
I was looking at one a couple years ago and loved everything about it except one big thing. I can't fit!

Both of my knees would touch the area in front the steering wheel. I ended up getting a Z but I was actually thinking about buying one and swapping out seats.

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
x2 on the can't fit issue, at 6'3'' and 260 lbs. i could get in but getting out was more like a roll out. I really wanted a S2000, but i couldn't see having to replace seats or combat roll out everytime. So i bought a GTI !!

Yeltneb

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Guys I have a GTI V with apr and raced the s2000 a few times around a track...let me tell you the gti was way faster with the apr against the s2000

On the straights the GTi was killing the s2000...wasnt too sure on the coners though as we mostly raced on the the straights.

Everyone who watched was saying that I would catch up to the s2000 very quickly.

So there you go guys apr on a dsg is great ;)

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I had one come flying up on me in a hard right hander. I got really stupid and put it down in 3rd. It's a very interesting off ramp at 50. I started losing at around 70 but stayed quite far ahead of him. I was just plain dumb taking the turn that fast but I handed it to him. Then he wanted some more down the road. I swung to the right lane as we were wide open in 3rd, pulled 4th and kept my 1/2 to 1 car lead then he let off. It was fun but I need to chill out when someone messes with me period.

GTI Pilot

Looks like I'm using my first post the forum to bring this back from the dead, but I'm an '04 S2000 owner interested in buying the GTI as my next car and as much as I like the GTI, I'm finding it very hard to believe when I read that people with stock (even stage 1 chipped) GTI's are "pulling" on S2000's. The S2000 is a high 13 second car that traps about 100mph when driven properly and I just can't see a stock GTI keeping up with one, especially from a roll. The S2000 weighs 2,800lb with about 200whp and the GTI weighs 3,100lb with about 180whp. Simple physics. :D

Anyway, I really like the GTI. I test drove one a few weeks ago and it impressed me. My butt dyno liked to low end torque, but I wasn't used to not having 8000 RPM to work with. It definitely did not feel as fast as my S2000, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. It was definitely comfy to drive though.

Last edited:

dubs rock!

traveler
Car(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Looks like I'm using my first post the forum to bring this back from the dead, but I'm an '04 S2000 owner interested in buying the GTI as my next car and as much as I like the GTI, I'm finding it very hard to believe when I read that people with stock (even stage 1 chipped) GTI's are "pulling" on S2000's. The S2000 is a high 13 second car that traps about 100mph when driven properly and I just can't see a stock GTI keeping up with one, especially from a roll. The S2000 weighs 2,800lb with about 200whp and the GTI weighs 3,300lb with about 180whp. Simple physics. :D

Anyway, I really like the GTI. I test drove one a few weeks ago and it impressed me. My butt dyno liked to low end torque, but I wasn't used to not having 8000 RPM to work with. It definitely did not feel as fast as my S2000, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. It was definitely comfy to drive though.

Did you drive the DSG or manual?