GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Fuel?

227 BHA

Just got my new toy this weekend:thumbup:

It came with a full tank of unleaded so haven't had to fill up yet so I was wondering what you guys recommend? The label on the fuel filler states that Super-Unleaded should be used but they state that as a min 95 RON which is what standard unleaded is here in the UK.

So should I use standard unleaded or is there any great benefit in using the more pricey super-unleaded?

GOLF-GTTDI-

L A Z E R B L U E
well the way petrol prices are now im defo useing standard unleaded.. most ppl i ask about the super say they isnt much difference plus depends on what car you have.. i might ask vw actually just to see what they say

VDUB UK

Passed Driver's Ed
No difference really well not a noticeable difference. I sometimes think my GTI prefers standard unleaded (dont ask me why). I was using the V-Power unleaded by Shell but i dont think it does much apart from extract more money from your wallet.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Put super in. You'll notice a better throttle response after you've gone through two tanks, and a (slightly) increased mpg. At the end of the day, it's like £3-5 more on a full tank, which is worth it to take care of your car right.
Car wants super, she gets super.

VDUB UK

Passed Driver's Ed
Put super in. You'll notice a better throttle response after you've gone through two tanks, and a (slightly) increased mpg. At the end of the day, it's like £3-5 more on a full tank, which is worth it to take care of your car right.
Car wants super, she gets super.

Touché lol I think thats why I started putting V-power in my GTI. I think i might just carry on putting V-power in.

cmdrfire

V-Power is nice and BP Ultimate is pretty good either (good for your fuel injectors), but the Texaco/Esso 97 is decent stuff too.
Avoid Tesco 99 like the plague, it's high octane but rubbish quality.

I think EVO did a petrol test a year ago or so and found pretty much the same (back when V-Power was called Optimax)

227 BHA

OK, some differing views now.

Some of you clearly think super is better but am I right in thinking that I should be perfectly ok to put normal unleaded in if I choose without damaging the car?

i will probably go with super but its nice to know I have a choice

cmdrfire

You can put 95RON in without damaging the car. Not all pumps have super 97/98RON so yes, it is nice that we can go without :)

oliboy

Car(s)
MkV GTI
stick to v power or bp ultimate. I slightly favour the ultimate, i know i get more mpg and speed out of it than the nasty stuff. and you get nectars! avoid the cheap stuff like the plague you really can tell the difference i've never gone back been using it a year now...