GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 iPod adaptor

JohnHS

Passed Driver's Ed
If I get the R32 I've talked the dealer into throwing the iPod adapter. Had anyone installed one? For some reason the R32 has the aux input in the glove box and not in the armrest. Does the iPod kit go in the glovebox or the armrest? The armrest version like in the GTI seems much nicer.

GTI2007mgc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 2dr UG DSG
my GTI has the one in the glove box, i love it, i talked to a guy that had the one in the center console and he said that he could not control the iPOD from the iPOD controls, it had to be controlled through the radio and you couldn't tell what song or what is playing until you hear it. Don't know if that is what they are putting in the R32, but I would check that out.

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
All R32s have the "adaptor" in the glove box. Its just a mini plug for aux input to the stereo. You still need to change tracks with the ipod.

Those with navigation have a true, but limited, ipod adaptor in the arm rest. Its an ipod plug that charges the ipod and allows some integration with the stereo. You can access the first 5 playlists through the "CD" option on the stereo. A 6th "CD" is a complete playlist. No display of track names. I'm hoping a future software update may improve the integration.

ScGRaceR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
. I'm hoping a future software update may improve the integration.

yeah me too.. i am thinking about getting a Iphone... but i figured why spend all the money when you cant even see the screen in the car... i think ima get a ipod touch... plus who knows if my bluetooth would still work with it in the ipod jack

Jig

Flow Motion
New at this forum. hello. I took possession of MY08 R32 recently and opted to have the ipod adapter installed. It goes in the glove box. You can only control the music selection(forward and rewind) from your music console. You also dont have the option to go to your ipod and select an Artist et al bec the VW software seem to lock down the ipod itself. Shame... but very happy with it overall.

manys

The factory IPod option does not go in the glove box, that's the standard AUX input for the stereo. The IPod option goes into the armrest in the center console and neither an IPhone nor an IPod Touch will fit in the space. It's just for Ipods with the docking connector. Basically, what WakeHead said.

kevinivek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV .:R32
nope, wont happen. i had the ipod thing, traded someone for a cd changer never looked back, aux cable is fine for me. if you need to control you're iphone/ipod through the radio get an RNS 510 or the cheaper non nav one. /thread.

ps, an iphone doesnt even fit in the ipod thing. maybe the 4 will but i know the 3g doesnt with out forcing it in.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Hi. Have there been any software updates that improve the OEM ipod integration?

There is actually a 2nd gen interface that was released last year. It connects through the SAT input as opposed to the CD CHANGER like the 1st gen. Gives 250 playlists with 250 songs each vs the original 5 playlists with 99 songs. Also shows ID3 tagging on the head unit and gives 8 characters in the MFD. This is if you have the Premium 7 HU. Not sure about the one for the NAV.

Look Here

SawULook

08 Go kart Champion
Car(s)
C.W. .:R32 RIP (L)GS
Hey Guys, I thought I would give some input on suggesting a iPod Integration solution for the R32.

I recently purchased the Rock N Talk as it was shown to me from another friend.

Here is some of the information from where I purchased this great device:

Taken from Cellularstore.com
  • The Rock N Talk Smartphone Handsfree Driving Cable allows you to play your music from your mobile phone as well as streaming music apps, video apps like YouTube, listen to audio books using apps like audible or when you use your Nook or Kindle, and when you receive a phone call on your device you simply hit the "answer" button on your phone, and the callers voice gets played through all of your cars speakers, as loud as you need! When the calls over, you hit "end" button on your phone and the music fades softly back in again so you can Rock and Talk and then Rock again!

For as little as $19.95 - this unit can be used from vehicle to vehicle - even on those business trips where I rent vehicles that do not have a Bluetooth kit.

Just thought I would share some information on the great device, I have used it in my own R32 as well as a couple of rental vehicles that I have had to use when I was out of town on a business trip.

Hope this helps some people out.

Attachments

• RNT1_300.gif
    RNT1_300.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,322

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
U can buy a Dice Ipod/Iphone player for $100 and it plugs into the Sat under the passenger seat and can be installed in less than 10 mins and u dont have to take the dash apart. VW also make an OEM ipod/iphone player too but will cost u $200+