GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs RX8

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Anyone raced one of these yet? My buddy got the automatic the first year it came out and it was the proverbial torqueless wonder. I know I can beat it in a straight line without even racing him. But I heard the 6 speeds were pretty quick in a straight line.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
well the auto's only came in the lower grade rx-8's...they had something like 50 less hp than the 6spd's

ive drivin numrous 6spds...they are fun to drive but to me they arent that quick

EDIT: sorry its not 50 less hp its like 30 less hp

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
The GTI are slightly faster than the 6sp RX8. I race one with 400+ miles in my GTI and the RX8 cannot pull away from me.(i have to get off the pedal to avoid hitting it.)

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I personally think it's a great car and don't think a stock GTI can beat it in the straight nor the twisties. Stock vs. stock that is. 1) they are quicker to 60 and 2) there suspension is very firm and the things corner like mad with almost no body roll noted at all. You guys sure do like your "GTI can beat'em all threads".

Perhaps they don't seem quick to you Freek cuz you're use to the torque:iono: Once that thing revs above 6-7k on the rpms it gets up and goes. Pulls much harder than a GTI. So sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I just drove my brothers 2 days ago (again) just so I could compare them. Perhaps once I get the suspension done (along with my chip) then I'll be able to hang with him. They also have a more accurate speedo and he has had that thing up to 150mph for a steady while. He made it from Orlando, Fl to Cleveland, OH in under 13 hours:eyebulge: I kid you not!

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
i ran one on the way to work the other day. I pulled on him from 0 all the way to over 90, acually 80 in the gti with the wacko speedo. then he started catching me. Pretty sure he had a 6 speed. I was hammering the crap outta my GTI thou. I like 6 speeds it puts more into the Drivers hands. Beat a 6 speed cobra too, for the same reason.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Of course your car isn't faster than a Cobra. And you must have simply outshifted the RSX8 driver. Or are you saying that after 80mph he ran up and began to spank you?

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I can swallow a few of these kill stories based on driver skill and situational information we're not privy to, but a cobra? Guy wasn't racing, or was driving with his feet. 390hp torque monster, on a highway especially. That's like saying you beat an STI or an Evo. I refuse to believe!

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I think it really depends on the driver.
I know the RX8 can do 14.5 seconds at the 1/4 mile easily.
It is lighter than the GTI by about 2-300 pounds and has more horse power.

If it is a rolling race, we'll win because we have tons of low down torque. From 0, I think the rx8 has the advantage.

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
KaynE said:

If it is a rolling race, we'll win because we have tons of low down torque. From 0, I think the rx8 has the advantage.

...that's a bass ackwards assessment.

Torque matters more from a dig, where as horsepower matters more from a roll..

Torque gets the car moving, horsepower keeps it moving.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
all i can say is i drove a rx8 and was extremely dissapointed in it. seriously, it felt slow as fuck. i had my friend in the rx8 and i was in my stock n/a 300zx and even tho he missed 2nd he never caught back up to me and we ran all the way up to over 100. so i can definitely see a gti whooping some rotary ass. also got to test drive a speed6 which also sucked balls. down low it felt nice but after 5 grand, it literally stopped acellerating.

damo

Oval Newbie
KaynE said:

I think what he means is, a lack of tourque is less of a problem from a stop because you can use rev's and the clutch to over come it. It makes sense to me. :thumbsup: