GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R&T compares GTI vs. CooperS vs. Civic SI.... winner: GTI!

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Of course our GTI wins :biggrin: :biggrin: :clap: :clap: (thanks to King for the scan)

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Chalk up another one for the GTI. Hey JJ can you get the video for this article (see 1st page top right cornor)?

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Bouston: I'll try to get a hold of it, but didn't see it on their website last night. Will look more closely.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
That has to be damn near fully loaded. I got a plain Jane GTI that stickers at $22,620 (including destination).

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I've been searching around the web for comparisons of the GTI and 06 Si, and that is how I found this link.

I am in the market for a new car, and the GTI is one on my list, and so is the 06 Si.

When I read the article above, I am confused by how the Mini (with all of the upgrades at 31k) and the GTI at almost 30k can even be compared to the Si at that price? Wouldn't the S2000 be a closer price match?

Also, that article makes the Si look like an incredible value since the performance numbers are 2 to 3 tenths of a second different for $7000-8000 less.

So, I just get confused while pricing and shopping these cars when I see articles like this...they just don't seem to compare apples to apples. The part where it says the Si lacks torque, so it can't keep up confuses me too, because it is neck and neck with the other two.

:iono:

91ABAGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Problem about the Si is that from what I've read on the vortex, it's being produced in limited numbers and stealerships are marking them way up because of this. Close to thirty grand, I dont know.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
91ABAGTi said:
Problem about the Si is that from what I've read on the vortex, it's being produced in limited numbers and stealerships are marking them way up because of this. Close to thirty grand, I dont know.

Oh hell no...there is no way I would pay over MSRP for any car unless I had money to literally burn.

I was able to test drive and get numbers on an 06 Si, and that was $19,990+$500 destination, without navi. I talked them down $300 (big deal :clap: :rolleyes: ), but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The GTI I haven't been able to drive, but I am going to try next weekend.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
I have noticed that in every comparision between the GTI and SI(and in this case the mini S also) the SI pulls away at high speeds :confused: ?

Is the GTI that slow at high speeds?

GTI2007

the GTI weighs 300 lbs more and is 4.9" higher. At speed until 90 mph that doesn't make that much difference. But when you go above 100 mph the GTI takes more wind because of it being 4.9" higher. That's the law of aerodynamics

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
but look the gap gets smaller by 110:biggrin:

thank god mine is euro spec:cool: At least its lower, maybe that has an effect

GTI2007

no, actually it gets bigger. The GTI is equal with the SI at 90, 0.6 seconds after at 100 and 0.7 seconds after at 110

A lower car indeed has effect. The lower a car, the less air can go under the car. That's better because the more wind goes under your car, the more it sort of rises, because the wind that goes under the car is sort of lifting the car up and that gets a lesser contact of the car with the road

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
no, actually it gets bigger. The GTI is equal with the SI at 90, 0.6 seconds after at 100 and 0.7 seconds after at 110

im sorry i didnt make my self clear... i meant the mini S

But doesnt the torque make out for the 300 lbs., at those speeds? I really feel that my GTI has a very strong pull, even at high speeds..