GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radar Detector in VA

Hockey24guy

With the new driving laws in VA, I was thinking about getting a radar detector for going to school and back, but they are 'illegal' in VA. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this. Is the law enforced and what are the fines associated with that? I saw that there are some radar detectors that are hardwired, so they are more discrete and others claim to be invisible to radar detector detectors does this really help avoid detection? Thanks in advance for the advice.

all i know is that they are not " 'illegal' " as you say... they are plain out ILLEGAL. not sure how much it's enforced nowadays cause with so many people with other things stuck on their windshields now (satellite radio, gps) i'd say the troopers probably don't go out looking for it, the citations they write for them are probably due to people getting pulled over for other reasons and a detector just being a bonus.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Yea VA is one of a few states that dosn't allow radar detectors, and the thing is, now cop cars have scanners to pick up the frequency they let off. If you have one, chances are a cop will know about it.

ucantrygti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
i have a Bell sti that i use and works well. NP yet and like they said with all the GPS etc it's hard to tell that u have one

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
Yea VA is one of a few states that dosn't allow radar detectors, and the thing is, now cop cars have scanners to pick up the frequency they let off. If you have one, chances are a cop will know about it.

To clarify : Virginia and Washington D.C. are the only places they are illegal in The States. :thumbsup:

interesting, i never knew they were illegal in the district... they don't have signs posted up like VA when you drive into there... at least not that i've seen.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
interesting, i never knew they were illegal in the district... they don't have signs posted up like VA when you drive into there... at least not that i've seen.

Yep...It is also illegal to use them while on a military base or in an OTR vehicle weighing over 10,000 pounds. :thumbsup:

mkVrbt

when you see the flashing lights just grab it from the windshield and throw it under your seat.

and if you get one, get the V1. best radar ever.

james.bigouette

Officially boring
Illegal in all vehicles: Virginia, Washington D.C., U.S. military bases
Illegal in commercial vehicles under state law: Illinois, New York (specifically, commercial vehicles over 10,000 lb. and all vehicles over 18,000 lb.)
Indirectly illegal: Minnesota and California (illegal to hang anything from the windshield with suction cups; however both dashboard and visor mounting is allowed.) [1]
Repealed: Connecticut (repealed in 1998)