GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Manual Transmission

aznricer29

Soon To Be R32 Owner
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
Hello, I'm new here,

I'm comparing the GTI and the MkV...i can get wholesale prices on both cars so i dont really care about the price but the only set back thats keeping me from buying the R32 is the lack of a true manual transmission, for some reason i just really want a stick shift instead of the dsg...what are your guys' suggestions?

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
I had only owned manual transmission cars since 1986. But I got the R32 and have no regrets. It is so versatile and performs so well. The DSG in the VW is made by Borg-Warner and is the best auto-manual currently available in any car at any price. Its the same one in much more expensive cars and is better than many in more expensive cars.

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
in the end, go with your gut. i went dsg and now i wish i went manual. for the same money, you can get a used b6 s4, i'd suggest that car instead

SickWrathTerror

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 R32
My suggestion would be to test drive a DSG-equipped car. If it's an R32, even better. They all feel about the same.

My last car was a MKV GTI DSG. I was a die-hard manual fan before it, but I drive in traffic a lot for my job and there's no drawbacks to the DSG box.

There's such a difference in character between the GTI and R32 in every aspect you should try to drive both. Maybe once you do the pro's of the R32 will outweigh the lack of a manual tranny. Maybe not. You can't go wrong either way.
But, if you gotta have AWD & a manual, he's right, look at an S4...sick car.

Good luck :drinking:

aznricer29

Soon To Be R32 Owner
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
yeah, I test drove the r32 and the gti, and the awd is sick, but the manual tranny is fun...i think i will go r32 but why do other countries get a manual r32

Furrymonki

Passed Driver's Ed
The stick is the slower shifter. If that's ok, downgrade to the GTI.

RSC17

R32 OG
honestly you will probably like the DSG more in the r32 due to it's awd... but yeah there are no options r32 wise you'd have to downgrade to a gti.

I wouldn't really call going with the GTI a downgrade. Both are great cars for what they are. Depending on what the owner's intentions are exactly, there are 2 very different platforms available between the 2 cars. Some might care that for less than you would pay for an R32, one can have a GTI with more hp/tq than an R32. But for others, the "dignity" of driving an R32 is more important. I'm not really trying to be an instigator but I'm trying to justify the different qualities of both cars.

scotteh

F.FEW FTW
honestly you will probably like the DSG more in the r32 due to it's awd... but yeah there are no options r32 wise you'd have to downgrade to a gti.

no other way to put it..

if you want to be quick get the dsg

if you want to "experience" it, get the gti

but the r32 awd should make up for it. i wish the gti had that