GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie Alert™

jasonmstone

Running on Empty
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, new to the world of GTI-ness. I got my 2008 BMP GTI a couple weekends ago, and I'm having a blast with it. My last car was a 2006 Acura TL, which I loved, but it was a lease and I was putting way too many miles on it. Besides, I've missed having a stickshift for a while, and the GTI is just a million times more fun to drive.

I'm getting the windows tinted tomorrow at LA Tint in Sterling (hopefully they're good—if they're not, let me know before 10AM tomorrow so I can cancel my appointment, hehehe).

I'm unhappy with the stock stereo, but I've been in touch with the owner of My Safe and Sound in Manassas, who seems like a nice enough guy. Problem there is that I don't know jack about car audio, so I'll probably end up getting raked over the coals. (Score.) Anyone had any dealings with that place, or can recommend another reputable place in NoVA?

I've also been toying with the idea of getting the car chipped. I've never done any modifications to any car I've owned, so I've managed to confuse myself on the whole GIAC vs APR vs REVO thing. Right now, I'm leaning towards GIAC, but that's 98% because I'm lazy, and Curry's Auto Service is about 3 miles from work. Has anyone had any experience with them? If so, would you go back? Or... if I should go somewhere else entirely, what's a good place in the area? I was in touch with someone from NGP Racing, too... though they're a lot further from me. (I'll say it again... I'm lazy.)

Anyway, this is very exciting. You all seem like a cool, laid-back group of people. I'm having tons of fun, even just researching all this stuff!

Cheers,
Jason Stone
Bristow, VA

ssmith

Mk?R
Car(s)
mkV gti
congrats man!
yeah, coming from a TL's DVD audio, any sound system isnt gonna sound as crisp. Its actually one of acuras top selling points.
Is this another lease or did u buy it?
Def. go with a chip first. Best bang for the buck(hp/$$). and u cant go wrong with GIAC. But really whatevers closest to u is good as they all have provide numbers.

you heading to H20? is this weekend.....some of us are leaving saturday morning if you'r down.

-steve

jasonmstone

Running on Empty
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Is this another lease or did u buy it?

I bought this one. There's something liberating about not having to worry about putting miles on the car... and about being able to modify it.

Def. go with a chip first. Best bang for the buck(hp/$$). and u cant go wrong with GIAC. But really whatevers closest to u is good as they all have provide numbers.

Unless I hear something negative about Curry's, I'll probably just go with them and GIAC. I'm pretty excited to experience the difference. The stock GTI seems pretty zippy to me (I'm told it's no faster than my TL was, but it sure FEELS faster), but more zip is always more fun.

you heading to H20? is this weekend.....some of us are leaving saturday morning if you'r down.

Demonstrating my ignorance here, but I have no idea what/where H20 is. I see a lot of people talking about it in the forums, so it must be a big deal, but I think I'm too new to "the club" to go. LOL

VRmk3tomk5

mk5's are gay
Car(s)
99 B5 passat wagon
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, new to the world of GTI-ness. I got my 2008 BMP GTI a couple weekends ago, and I'm having a blast with it. My last car was a 2006 Acura TL, which I loved, but it was a lease and I was putting way too many miles on it. Besides, I've missed having a stickshift for a while, and the GTI is just a million times more fun to drive.

I'm getting the windows tinted tomorrow at LA Tint in Sterling (hopefully they're good—if they're not, let me know before 10AM tomorrow so I can cancel my appointment, hehehe).

I'm unhappy with the stock stereo, but I've been in touch with the owner of My Safe and Sound in Manassas, who seems like a nice enough guy. Problem there is that I don't know jack about car audio, so I'll probably end up getting raked over the coals. (Score.) Anyone had any dealings with that place, or can recommend another reputable place in NoVA?

I've also been toying with the idea of getting the car chipped. I've never done any modifications to any car I've owned, so I've managed to confuse myself on the whole GIAC vs APR vs REVO thing. Right now, I'm leaning towards GIAC, but that's 98% because I'm lazy, and Curry's Auto Service is about 3 miles from work. Has anyone had any experience with them? If so, would you go back? Or... if I should go somewhere else entirely, what's a good place in the area? I was in touch with someone from NGP Racing, too... though they're a lot further from me. (I'll say it again... I'm lazy.)

Anyway, this is very exciting. You all seem like a cool, laid-back group of people. I'm having tons of fun, even just researching all this stuff!

Cheers,
Jason Stone
Bristow, VA

if i didnt choose revo then i wouldve gone with giac. but now that i met brendon @ bmftechnik i wish i never had revo to begin with.

omegach

Banned
wait, what's wrong w/ revo? is giac really that much better?

DUB2OT

Banned
any mods you wanna do performance wise get in touch with NGPracing in Lorton 703-454-3000 they tune VW and Audi cars only they know what they're doing also they are the local APR dealer I just got chipped there it's great check them out on line NGPRACING.COM

:thumbup:

Last edited:

VRmk3tomk5

mk5's are gay
Car(s)
99 B5 passat wagon
wait, what's wrong w/ revo? is giac really that much better?

no imo revo is better than apr and giac b/c of all the dynos ive seen. BUT BMF has a nitrous kit thats alot cheaper than buying a BT and they use there own software. Their stage 1 was like 225 wheel HP and 285 torque which is really good. So if i wanted to buy there nitrous kit i would have to use there sofware which is good and all but my revo would get deleted. which is why i said i wish i never had revo. giac ftw AFTER revo b/c i like there turbos and i hate APR just b/c i dont like there numbers and there prices on BT's

jasonmstone

Running on Empty
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Ugh

Yep, confounded again on the GIAC vs REVO choice. In some other thread, people were saying they're all pretty close... and that it's more important to go to a dealer that's close (in case you need to go back for updates/fixes) and reputable.

I work in Dulles, so there's a GIAC and a REVO dealer within just a few miles of my office. The nearest APR dealer is in Lorton (not so close). Between GIAC and REVO, any recommendations? Not to turn this into a chip war, so maybe the safer question is: between Autodyne Motorsports (REVO) in Sterling and Curry's Auto Service (GIAC) in Dulles, does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with either of these?

Since I'm not married to the idea of any of them, I probably should base my decision on which dealer/shop is nicest.

VRmk3tomk5

mk5's are gay
Car(s)
99 B5 passat wagon
Yep, confounded again on the GIAC vs REVO choice. In some other thread, people were saying they're all pretty close... and that it's more important to go to a dealer that's close (in case you need to go back for updates/fixes) and reputable.

I work in Dulles, so there's a GIAC and a REVO dealer within just a few miles of my office. The nearest APR dealer is in Lorton (not so close). Between GIAC and REVO, any recommendations? Not to turn this into a chip war, so maybe the safer question is: between Autodyne Motorsports (REVO) in Sterling and Curry's Auto Service (GIAC) in Dulles, does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with either of these?

Since I'm not married to the idea of any of them, I probably should base my decision on which dealer/shop is nicest.

basically... do you wanna go big turbo in the future or no b/c revo doesnt have a big turbo out and im not sure if they are coming out with one.

omegach

Banned

i'm thinking of getting REVO'd at autodyne, but now i'm not so sure... i have a feeling that they don't know shiet about vw's

:/

GIAC doesn't have a stage 2 file, does it?

VRmk3tomk5

mk5's are gay
Car(s)
99 B5 passat wagon
i'm thinking of getting REVO'd at autodyne, but now i'm not so sure... i have a feeling that they don't know shiet about vw's

:/

GIAC doesn't have a stage 2 file, does it?

they have a race gas file which i wish i had...:eek: :drool:

jasonmstone

Running on Empty
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
basically... do you wanna go big turbo in the future or no b/c revo doesnt have a big turbo out and im not sure if they are coming out with one.

Well, in all honesty, I will probably never do more than chip the car. There's a possibility, if the bug hits, that I'll upgrade the exhaust... but turbo? Seems unlikely. I guess one never knows, but at this point, I'm not planning to go that far.

VRmk3tomk5

mk5's are gay
Car(s)
99 B5 passat wagon
Well, in all honesty, I will probably never do more than chip the car. There's a possibility, if the bug hits, that I'll upgrade the exhaust... but turbo? Seems unlikely. I guess one never knows, but at this point, I'm not planning to go that far.

REVO FTW:thumbup:

Idealistic

Enter Title Here
I got my GIAC flash done at Curry's

http://www.currysauto.com/chantilly.htm

Great service, friendly people, it took them longer than expected to flash it though.

As far as the chip, i have been running strong for ~8 months and 10k miles. I blew a DV after about 2k miles but the replacement valve is doing fine.

Another good starter mod is to replace the Intake. It helps increase the gains you will get when you chip and it makes some pretty cool sounds too. Even before i got chipped, the intake helped make the 'blow off' sound much louder. After the chip it sounds like a proper turbo car.