GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Baby my GTI ?

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
I'll post this here because the Aussie region gets the hits almost as much as the ever popular Canadians (and why shouldn't they - they're great people) :

Should I baby my new GTI straight off the ship or can I feel comfortable fanging the bejeezus out of it on the 8 hour trek back home. I want to know what speed limit I should feel comfortable hitting within the first several thousand kms. (1 mile = 1.6 kms).

All experience and advice greatly appreciated as I'm going to make this trip within 7 days.

Last edited:

miketoti

Autocross Newbie
Drive it like your stole it! Bed those piston rings in! Just make sure the engine is fully warmed up before you fang it. Try to vary your speed as much as possible, slow down - speed up etc..

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Kirium quote :
" As for the drive back, it's not necessary to drive it like a nanny and sit under 100kph.. My suggestion (and what I'm doing) is stay off the highway and drive it back using varied gears, load and revs. Breaking in engines isn't a crucial now as it was back in the old days. They're apparently redlined at the factory for a while (not sure how true that is) so as long as you've let it warm up well, there shouldn't be any problems with getting a bit spirited. bear in mind that the rest of the car has to "bed in" too, like the brakes and gearbox etc. I'm picking mine up in Sydney and driving it south to Batemans bay then up the range to Canberra.. If you're picking yours up in Melbourne, i'd suggest taking some backroads as far as you can on the way back to Canberra so it's not just sitting on 110 in 6th with no load for 8 hrs straight on the hume. The best bet is a nice variety of revs, throttle positions, gears and load (high gears up moderate slopes) "

Very cool... thanks. I know the route you're going to take back. Nice choice. As for the one I should - it'll be a fun trip back. I'll stop to take photos on the way and post here.

The wait's been enjoyable. Cheers ;)

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
from what i read they have done 1000k before being put into a car.

there aint as much need to run in now as there used to be, as already sugested lots of varied driving.

i think they mainly say to run a car in these days is to actually run the brakes and clutch in more then anything else.

take some pics guys.

and conrgats....

SSS_Hoon

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I smell cow bell!