GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Better sound quality?

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
So im not really a sound guy, so um excus emy stupidity.
Bassicly i am not pleased one bt with the radio, or sound quality for that matter in the GTI. What can be done to help that out, as far as items like, Amps, tweeters, speaers, woofers ETC, i really am a sound noob lol. thanks

themoesae

Passed Driver's Ed
It all depends on how far you want to go. I havent yet heard the system in the GTI but some car stereos just need a boost on the low end, in which case a small subwoofer with small amp will suffice. If you want to keep the stock headunit you can add an amplifier and speakers and use an amp that will support high-level inputs. However for best sound quality I would reccomend speaker replacements (components for best quality/sound) head unit replacement (I personally love alpine) amplifier for these speakers. For best overall sound quality add a 10 inch subwoofer (more then plenty for a small hatch) to the previous suggestion.

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Simply replacing the speakers will get rid of the muddy sound and a lot of the poor tones. Replacing the head unit will give the speakers more oomph and a lot better quality. Amplifying the speakers will yield the absolute best results.

If you want a little more bas, I'd suggest an Infinity Basslink subwoofer, Audiobahn 10" powered bass tube, or a small 8"-10" sub w/ ~250w RMS amplifier.

Eclipse, Alpine, and Kenwood make awesome decks. Infinity and Polk make great speakers for the money. (there are many other great speaker manufacturers out there, but they normally cost a good sum)

steeevo

Oval Newbie
I have to strongly agree with you on this. The gti's sound system is not impressive one bit. The sound is too high and very undefined. I've had a massive sound system installed in my previous e46 with audiophile components and learned that the most important thing to start with is a good head unit with a good installer you can trust with your wiring. Personally, I am a die hard fan of eclipse head units. Let us know what happens.

NaterGator86

Touring Car Newbie
Eclipse/alpine HU. Resonant Engineering sub. CDT components in the front. Lots and lots of sound deadening.

All of those things will yeild appreciably better sound quality.