GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leak

TheGr8Scuda

Go Kart Newbie
I just got my Oil changed, and now I'm leaking OIL! I just called the dealership and they said it's just excess run off. But I got changed last week! I just check under my car and there was a bolt loose and it looks like this is where the oil is coming from should I tighten it or is there where the exccess supposed:iono: to come out?

[VU]Juan

Oval Newbie
Is it the drain plug?

funnycar

Autocross Champion
TheGr8Scuda said:
I just got my Oil changed, and now I'm leaking OIL! I just called the dealership and they said it's just excess run off. But I got changed last week! I just check under my car and there was a bolt loose and it looks like this is where the oil is coming from should I tighten it or is there where the exccess supposed:iono: to come out?

First time I've heard an oil leak referred to as excess run off. Must be a German thing...

Tighten the drain plug and check the oil level. Make note to self: Change my own oil & filter.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
When I had my honda, there was excess run off because the filter was above parts of the car's chassis and whenever I took it off it had some excess oil that would drip into the chassis.

If they changed it right there shouldn't be excess run off. I just changed mine this weekend and all the oil goes straight to the oil pan. This includes the oil from the filter if they used the oil filter drain tool. If your drain plug is tight then check your oil filter housing.

Also, does anyone know the correct torque rating for the drain plug? I had mine at 35 ft/lbs. (honda/acura is around 32)

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
dude that sucks ass...

submarine man

Ready to race!
Hi there, I had a similar problem, the fist time i was told that it was probably oil runoff, so after my service i looked to see if i had a leak, and could not see any. a couple of days latter, we had a big rainstorm and i seen a leek under the car. I freeked out, called the dealer, so they told me to come in.
they had a good look and finally told me i was right. i had a oil leek by the filter gasket, they fixed it and now everything is ok, check the gasket.

k0rson

Passed Driver's Ed

My dealer overtorqued the oil filter housing and cracked it - check it out !
If you do your oil change, always tighten BY HAND the filter housing, otherwise you can crack it - it is plastic.

k0

k0rson

Passed Driver's Ed
And another thing - there is a VW bulletin regarding the correct install of the gasket - the half-moon tab should point up, toward the engine block - and make sure the gasket is oiled before you install it in the oil housing. If the gaslet is installed woth the tab pointing down, it will leak !!

k0