GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty

JonnyDoe69

Drag Race Newbie
I've been looking into digital signal processors instead of replacing my factory head unit.... Came across the 3sixty.1 . Anybody had experience with this? Easy to install? I've heard this is a lot better than the JL Audio Cleansweep, is this true? Alpine's unit doesnt come out till October or so, and I'd rather not wait.

Anybody want to put in your .02? It would be helpful.

Thanks

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Ive been looking at getting one of these as well, Ive just been waiting for my local Rockford dealer to get them in stock (I was told it'd be in by the end of May) which should be any time now.

Ive heard it was better than the JL cleansweep as well but then again Id expect that from a Rockford dealer, I guess it really depends on what you're after, I know the 3Sixty.1 is basic and the 3Sixty.2 has more tuning capabilities EQ wise and also has time alignment capabilities.

Downside to both is that you will need to use their master volume control knob as opposed to your standard volume control on your head unit or steering wheels, which kinda makes me reconsider this whole approach. The reason I wanted to keep my standard HU was to keep it looking as factory as possible and to be able to retain my steering wheel controls but it kinda throws that whole idea out the window.

exS4

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
`06 GTi
Since RockFord is in Tempe...

You could drive-over to Rockford HeadQuarters in Tempe
and ask them all the Questions You want...

JonnyDoe69 said:
I've been looking into digital signal processors instead of replacing my factory head unit.... Came across the 3sixty.1 . Anybody had experience with this? Easy to install? I've heard this is a lot better than the JL Audio Cleansweep, is this true? Alpine's unit doesnt come out till October or so, and I'd rather not wait.

Anybody want to put in your .02? It would be helpful.

Thanks

JonnyDoe69

Drag Race Newbie
So I talked to a guy at a local stereo shop and he told me that when you mess with the master volume, it messes with the stereo EQ as well. But that's confusing cause isn't the point of the 3sixty and other dsp's to run your factory radio and have regular radio functionality like volume? That plain sucks if you can't use your regular radio volume controls...bleh.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Not sure if theres a way to get around that issue because your stock HU has diff EQ settings as you change volume since they try to make it sound good at every volume level (if it sounded good then we wouldnt want to change it!?). Thats why you have to tune the 3Sixty at a particular volume setting on the HU and then leave that and adjust your volume using the volume control on the 3Sixty itself so you're basically adjusting the original EQ at that particular stock HU setting.

TJanke

Passed Driver's Ed
JonnyDoe69 said:
i think with the rockford unit you don't have to control the volume with their knob, you can use your master volume knob still.

OK, here's the deal...

Most head units out there simply apply a loudness curve. This is when the lows and highs are boosted at low volumes to compensate for the human ear. These levels attenuate at high volumes because your ear's frequency response is much flatter at loud volumes. These loudness curves are good, they put them in the radios for a reason. We recommend using your factory radio volume knob if this is true for your source. Some cars change the EQ curve at different levels, particularly they may move the crossover point on say the subwoofer up when it gets loud to protect the factory speakers. This can be quite annoying to a user, so in these circumstances, we provide a control that you can use to control the master volume of the 3Sixty and keep your factory radio control static.

If you don't need this feature, you dont have to install the remote, but if you choose to, you can program the remote to function as a subwoofer level control instead! The knob also serves another purpose, Aux in. When you press the knob in, the source switches from your normal input to the aux input. In this mode, the knob functions as the master volume control for say, your iPod. The 3Sxity.2 has a pretty unique feature that includes a 31-band EQ for your aux input so that you can actually TUNE your iPod or sat radio.

Hope I answered all of your questions, if not just lemme know.

Oh, and by the way if you are not sure if your radio has a different response at different volumes, 3Sixty will actually show you the freq response plot (both a before and after) for each channel so you can run it at different levels and see for yourself if you need the master volume knob or not!

JonnyDoe69

Drag Race Newbie
wow. thanks. Do you guys need any test vehicles for audio??? I'd be more than willing to submit my car for some rockford fosgate "enhancements"!!

I just got my "soft clipping" adjusted on my stereo so i'm wondering if that eliminates the "loudness curve" that Tony mentioned on the high end... So I'm guessing I need the DSP either way to increase the quality of my stereo output. Not that I'm going for competition SQ, but I like my stereo sounding decent.

Thanks for your input Tony!