GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drying

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Alright you experienced wash buffs, need some help.

I've been a wash fanatic the past couple years now, and have yet to find a drying utensil that works well. I've tried conventional chamois, waffle-weave, and The Absorber.

* In my experience, conventional chamois dry very well but 'fill' up with water quickly and need to be wrung out often. They're rather easy to wring out.
* I used to love my Mequiars's Waffle-Weave drying towel, but over the past couple months I've come to hate it. Just today I washed my GTI and attempted to dry her, but the WW just wouldn't pick up any water! I tried soaking it and they wringing it out completely, letting it dry a little bit, but to no avail. I just said screw it...(it's supposed to rain tonight or tomorrow).
* The Absorber holds lots of water, but is very 'selective' on paint. It works wonder on a friend's Evolution IX MR in white, but won't dry much of anything on my gray GTI (don't ask me??). It does work good in the doorjambs and such. Pretty easy to wring out.

Has anyone tried the California Water Blade? It's supposed to squeegee water off your paint not unlike wiper do your windows.

Is there anything else out there I can try?

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i used to use the blade, i use my Chamois or my other thing i forgot what its called it like a chamois though. it kicks.

i used to do the blade then dry with micro fiber, but that was on my mk3. won't use the blade on the GTI's paint though, little more picky with this car, don't want to accidentally catch something with it then scratch her... i'll use it on the windows though. with the GTI, i use the absorber to get the majority of the water then micro fiber.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Couple of things. The water blade is a great time saver especially if you live in a dry climate like me and need to get her dry to avoid water spotting. I use it on the roof and the windows primarily. I religiously wipe it with a MF towel between strokes to avoid dragging a particle of sand across the paint.

As fas as a towel I use these:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-200.html

They are actually on sale now. One towel should be able to do the entire car as I can do our Passat wagon with one. One key thing to keeping them absorbent is keeping wax and sealant out of them. I wash them as usual for a MF towel most of the time but once a month or so I will run just the drying towels and buffing towels through the wash with a tablespoon of vinegar to breakdown and wash out the wax/sealant build up in the towel. This works wonders in prolonging the life of my drying towels.

Good luck.

dmclone

Oval Champion
Here is an idea that wil make your neighbors think you're nuts....

Buy a leaf blower. Sears had one on sale this winter for $25 and I use it all the time to get the water off the grill and the tires.

I've been using the absorber for about 10 years and I haven't found anythinfg better (tried a lot of them).

bamafanjtm

Battle Royale Champ
My wife and I do detailing on the side and the best thing for drying are microfiber towels. We can do the whole car with 2 small towels and they are also great for your windows. :burnrubber:

seung

Oval Newbie
dmclone said:
Here is an idea that wil make your neighbors think you're nuts....

Buy a leaf blower. Sears had one on sale this winter for $25 and I use it all the time to get the water off the grill and the tires.

I've been using the absorber for about 10 years and I haven't found anythinfg better (tried a lot of them).

WERD.
a lot of exotic car guys around me seem to love this method.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I have a gas one and would have never thought to try that. I use a chamois but it sucks on the windows. I used the absorber in the past though. What about those cheap micro fiber towels from Walmart? If not those, which ones do I buy and do you wash them?

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
one side note guys...make sure your leaf blower isnt having any blow by issues...that would sure make a mess of that freshly washed car

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I use an air hose with a variable pointed nozzle then cotton towels.

d.C

DJ
so chamois or microfibre towels? i think i have absorber and it works pretty good. but i wanna see if there's anything better.

do u still use your microfibre towel after its soaked with water?