GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R36 timeframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz

Ready to race!
Did anyone notice the blurb in Automobile magazine talking about the R36 possibly being available for the 2009 model year? Supposedly it was already undgergoing severe weather testing in the US right now. Last I saw in this forum was someone saying 2012 or something like that.

If they R36 does come in 2009 with about 300HP, I'd definitely be interested. Sad part is though early adopter of the R32 would get hammered pretty badly on resale.

So anyone hear of a more definitive timeline on the R36 yet? If if it would be that soon, it would make no sense to mod my GTI at all other than maybe a chip. The R36 would a great place to start with a HPA upgrade. :biggrin:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Wishful thinking. It's going to follow the same timeline, i.e. 2004->2008->2012, etc. Europe will get it first (as usual) in 2009 as a 2010 model, and it'll be on the Mk VI platform.

Taz

Ready to race!
That sucks! By the time they finally release it, they will have to play catch-up with somebody else again. Is it me or does it seem like VW is a step behind everyone else in the performance category?

This statement is NOT meant to bash the R32, but they would have been at the top of their class with the R32 if the year was 2002. It would match up nicely in stats with the 2002 WRX 2.0 liter turbo four. Now if they don't release the R36 until say close to 2012, what will they be up against then from other companies?

While trying to find info on the R36, I stumbled across the specs for the new A4 3.0 TDI. If you believe their specs, this diesel sedan will easily match the current R32 in acceleration and its a diesel!!!! Here is a link to it if anyone is interested. They are predicting 0-100km/h in 6.1 seconds. This stacks up pretty good against the factory claimed spec of 6.5 seconds for the R32.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070829.003/new-audi-a4-officially-revealed-in-detail

While I appreciate the fit and finish of the the R32, the power deficit is a little frustrating vis a vis the competition. They really should release the R36 sooner than later. At least then they might actually take sales from another company.

On a side note, I'd be curious to see the demographics of the R32 purchaser. I would bet 95% of them were current VW owners and probably had a Golf prior to the R32. Just for the record, I do have a vested interest in VW so I would like to see them be successful.

I'd like to see them make a no excuses, kick some butt and take no prisoners hot hatch. Not the old "she may not be the most beautiful girl but she has a nice personality" excuse. Be a little more adventurious here and stop hiding behind the coat tails of Audi! The new GTI and R32 are steps in the right direction but they need to be accelerated a bit. The R36 next year would be a nice start!

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
R36 HaHa

I doubt that the R36 will happen, especially in the US. Its all speculation. I would look for a direct injected 3.2L before the 3.6. The 3.6L just doesn't fit in the Golf. That's why it hasn't happened in the past. And with new CAFE standards looming in the US, I don't see VW spending the money to get it here even if they built it for the rest of the world. Their R&D is going to direct injection, diesel and twin chargers. I'm thinking that the MkVI R may have some kind of twin charger.

Taz

Ready to race!
OK, I could go for a twin charger, direct injected motor if they make it a V6. From what I've heard the little twin charger motor they have now performs pretty well.

If they go that route I wonder if they will stay with a V6 or not. In some ways they would need to do so to differentiate it more from the GTI AND to compete with the other V6's and V8's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.