GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st Oil Change when??

thunderroad

Ready to race!
Got my GTI about 1 month ago and currently have 1400 miles. Love the car and I broke in the engine gently my question is : When should you change the oil for the 1st time, dealer stated every 5k. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Diggums

Go Kart Champion
Manual says 5k then 10k then every 10k after that. Hooray for advances in synthetic oil technology! Unless you are really flogging it I would stick to that.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
5k for the first

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
You are supposed to wait till 5k because of the break in additives in the oil from VW. You should wait till 5k miles on the car.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Yeah why wouldnt you follow the recommendations of the engineers that built the engine? Change it around 5k.

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
loccusst said:
You are supposed to wait till 5k because of the break in additives in the oil from VW. You should wait till 5k miles on the car.

+1 !!!! don't the touch the break in oil until its in the engine for 5K miles!

whiterabbit

Touring Car Champion
when you get to 4K miles the car will remind you every day to service it in xx miles.I did mine at 4500 just to get rid of the service reminder

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Amsoil 5w40 or 0w30... Amsoil's the best there is.

funnycar

Autocross Champion
whiterabbit said:
when you get to 4K miles the car will remind you every day to service it in xx miles.I did mine at 4500 just to get rid of the service reminder

You've got to be kidding?? That mfd is totally distracting from the drive. At least when not smiling thru the twisties.

Duct tape over the dash and all those MF lights on every knob & button... :iono:

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have been checking my oil at every fill (gas)

I'm at 7500 km, and the oil is just now starting to darken, I have driven it hard, :burnrubber:

my mileage to work has been increasing from a start at 31 mpg, to almost 40 mpg (imperial gallons) now based on tank fills:headbang:

that is combined city hiway, about 50:50

I have a scheduled oil change in about two weeks, which should be right around 8,000 km,

so the schedule from VW is working for me!:evil: