GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A little advice when making a deal on GTI purchase.

sakanuki

Drag Racing Champion
The first dealer I visited got on a computer to find the Pk 2 Silver I wanted at other dealers since he had none. It just happened that all the cars he found came with a $180 rubber mat package that I'd have to pay for; i.e. mats for front, back, and a hatch liner. I made the assumption that the car didn't come with mats as several other cars I've purchased didn't come with them standard . . . you had to dicker for them or just pay extra. It's pretty ridiculous but true. A few days later, I visited another dealer who had exactly the car I wanted but we were far apart on price. I finally got him down $1200 from list but he was still $100 more than the first dealer. So I thought I was being smart and remembered the mat package and said; "Give me $100 more for my trade and throw in the mats and we have a deal." At that, he stood up, held out his hand and said, "Deal". I even had the salesman write mats on the bill of sale. When I picked up the car, mats were in the car, but it wasn't until I studied the window sticker that I realized these mats were included with all GTI's as standard equipment. This was not the rubber mat package I thought I was getting thrown in but I didn't know enough to specify that when making the deal. So the lesson is: Educate yourself on the small stuff if you want to squeeze out the best deal on your car. These little things can run into a few hundred bucks. Don't make the same stupid mistakes I did . . . GRRRRRR!:burnrubber:

gatorfast

man amongst boys
My GTI came with the $180 rubber mats also but I said I didnt want them so they just took them out and lowered the price accordingly. Its weird that the first dealer you went to didnt just offer to remove the mats and not charge you.

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
All the Cars that have the monster mat package, also include the regular factory "carpet" mats as well.

Mine never went in the car, I put the Monster mats in at the dealership, and stored the carpet mats in the attic when I got home in a plastic bag.

Pete

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
Scotaku said:
The car is clean and has a running set of maintenance records and mileage logs to make it more appealing. Her little brother is getting the same treatment because it really does add value to a used car.

Sco,

You are 110% correct on the maintenance records. Everytime I have sold a car that has the records, I got my asking price. The better the records, the more you can ask for a used vehicle. And also the more you will generally get on a trade-in vehicle as well as it makes it easier for a dealership to sell a used car if it's got a "story" to go with it.

Pete