GOLFMKV

.:R32 mods

.:R32-07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
GruppeM Ram Air Systems.

http://www.gruppem.co.jp/en/home.html

RAM AIR SYSTEM used maximum space of GOLF5 R32 engine room. RAM AIR SYSTEM can stop heat temperature inside engine room and can leads cool fresh air from front section. RAM AIR SYSTEM can make more torque and maximum power from middle range rpm to high range rpm than stock intake and you can feel better accelerate and aggressive intake sound.

RAM2.jpg

P1-2.jpg

Milltek systems.

Photo shows the stunning Mk5 R32 with larger diameter central tailpipes - now 100mm (4").

http://millteksport.com

338.jpg

HPA Releases CVP Modular Short Runner Intake Manifold
The team at HPA Motorsports has been tuning the VR6 engine since its introduction to the North American market the early 1990’s. Through strong partnerships and consistent results, HPA has been an ongoing contributor to the forced induction scene for the 24 valve based motors. At this Spring’s “SoCal R32 Get-Together”, a special preview of the past year’s development was revealed in the form of HPA’s new CVP Modular Short Runner Intake Manifold.

This exciting new product joins our growing line-up sporting the moniker “CVP” or “Calibrated Velocity Port”.

CVP-TT.jpg

Over the years, it was the “Lego”-like interchangeability of parts among the VW/Audi platforms that facilitated the growth of HPA from a back-yard operation over 16 years ago to the place it shares in the industry today. It was this flexibility that was brought to the table when HPA set out to design the successor to their currently offered HGP developed Short Runner Intake Manifold which would cultivate the base for a future Naturally Aspirated tuning program.

Although focused on Turbocharging for close to a decade, the development of a dynamic Naturally Aspirated tuning program for the VR6 motor has been long in the works. Much to the credit of the Engineers in Wolfsburg responsible for the development of the current 3.2L offering, there has been little room for improvement with the roster of conventional bolt on parts available on the market; until now.

With only a few bolts, the modular design of the CVP intake manifold allows for easy expansion or re-configuration as your project car evolves. Compatible with various forced induction applications, use the long neck, to maintain your factory throttle body position or use the left or right short neck to position the throttle body closer to your intercooler for shorter boost travel and improved responsiveness.

CVP-Kits.jpg

Available in three configurations to best suit the unique packaging constraints of your project car, the CVP is in ALL arrangements a “Short Runner” intake manifold by definition that runner length always refers to the distance from the Plenum to the face of the cylinder head. In comparison, The OEM 3.2L intake manifold is defined as a Variable Path/Resonance Intake Manifold, with a Long Runner configuration and an innovative piggy back plenum called the Performance Port which replicates the short runner effect at high RPM.

Design Theories

The 3.2L VR6 is a unique motor that shares as many design obstacles as benefits for tuners in the aftermarket. Originally designed to occupy the same space as a 4 cylinder motor, all 6 cylinders are standing nearly vertical and share a single cylinder head. A 15 degree offset, 10.5 degree V and an 11mm offset crank shaft with corresponding calibrated cams are only some of the design innovations to be found when setting out to tune the 3.2L VR6.

CVP-vs-OEM.jpg

OEM Variable Path/Resonance Intake

The factory long runner configuration builds torque in the 900 to 4100 RPM range and the smaller performance port feeds the intake valves in the higher RPM. This design offers a good working compromise for the 3.2L engine, but does not directly address the imbalance of pressure found between the intake ports of the rear three cylinders and the front three.

CVP Short Runner Intake

HPA’s goal was to develop an intake manifold that could be configured to mate with any forced induction product, and be the foundation on which to build a Naturally Aspirated program. With a volume optimized plenum, the short runners were calibrated to equalize the large pressure wave’s imbalance between forward and rearward cylinders in the mid to high RPM range found on the OEM intake. This reclaimed differential balanced the high pressure wave and maximized air velocity at each valve seat. Maximum potential horsepower will be realizable under naturally aspirated or forced induction applications through CVP’s runner design.

CVP-render-1.jpg

The long neck/short neck throttle body configurations were assembled to build-in throttle response options. The closer the throttle body is to the plenum; the better the throttle response. With the OEM intake, the throttle body is the furthest away from the piggy back plenum and results in less crisp tip-in response at higher RPM, but maximizes low end torque. HPA’s balanced long neck preloads the plenum and groups each set of cylinders with matched pressure to build back in throttle response and minimize torque loss.

CVP-render-2.jpg

The CVP’s “Calibrated Velocity Port” design has maximized the “ram effect” in the upper RPM range, and when combined with the appropriate cam profile, will serve as the most horsepower productive first step in tuning your 3.2L VR6; regardless of the plotted direction; naturally aspirated or forced induction.

Performance Figures:

The CVP is not intended as a stand alone product, but rather an integrated part of your total tuning package. When used with various hardware and software combinations, different performance gains will be had. Future product offerings from HPA to compliment the CVP Intake Manifold will be forthcoming in the months to follow, and the CVP will be integrated in future renditions of our FT series of turbo systems.

Even though HPA’s official software tuning to optimize the characteristics of the manifold’s air flow had not yet been developed, we took the opportunity to install the CVP on a 2007 3.2L DSG equipped VW EOS. On 91 octane fuel with OEM software, this front-wheel-drive vehicle base-lined 201 hp on a Dynojet dynamometer. Without un-strapping from the dyno, we installed the CVP Intake Manifold and retested the car; achieving back-to-back pulls of 217 and 213 hp, displaying a smooth linear hp increase from 4500 RPM through to redline.

Introductory Offer:

In standard HPA format, a product like this would not be released without a well sorted out Installation guide, factoring the plumbing routing differentials across the wide range of 3.2 equipped platforms. From there, our team will be individually writing software to compliment a camshaft profile that is in the works to officially kick off our Naturally Aspirated tuning program.

Like any major project, unforeseen timing delays show themselves at the least likely junctures. With the flood of emails, IM’s and telephone calls our staff has received since the spring GTG, we decided to make available a small quantity of production parts at a special one time offer, prior to the final packaging/installation and plumbing interfaces being sorted out. We have been running around the clock to finalize the 30+ CNC tool changes required to perform the intricate final machining for each CVP manifold.

With countless hours of painstaking work now completed, the first castings are about to travel through the CNC production department for finish machining. These will all be final production quality parts, and will include basic hardware, but will be shipped in generic packaging without installation instructions or fitment guides. After watching the talented QBN install the prototype manifold in the final hour before the spring GTG, we are confident that there should be few obstacles ahead. Due to the large and balanced plenum of the CVP, a modified fuel rail is necessary to remote mount the OEM fuel pressure regulator. (Your OEM fuel rail will need to be sent in as a core exchange.)

CVP-R32.jpg

Thanks to HPA & VWvortex for the info.

Last edited:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
I would love to put my hands on that intake, but it is so damn expensive. I am on hold since the car is so new in US, we dont even have decent coilovers except the H&Rs.

I heard Milltek pulled manifolds off the market due to complaints about cars losing power. Apperently they will have a revised version. I cant imagine how the car would sound with a full exhaust system.

Still in search of a coilover.....

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
I would love to put my hands on that intake, but it is so damn expensive. I am on hold since the car is so new in US, we dont even have decent coilovers except the H&Rs.

I heard Milltek pulled manifolds off the market due to complaints about cars losing power. Apperently they will have a revised version. I cant imagine how the car would sound with a full exhaust system.

Still in search of a coilover.....

The intake is so hot....
You are right with the Milltek Cats and manifolds, but not the CatBack (New Cats & manifolds is on the way) I have a mail from Milltek...
Go for KW Variant 3.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
I'm in the same boat as Abt. How do KWs compare to H&R coilovers? I've had great experience with H&R springs, but never used their coilovers before.

Don´t go springs only....
I can not tell you, because I´ll will get them fitted in Oktober and they cost me a bomb ($2200) :eyebulge:

Last edited:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Don´t go strings only....
I can not tell you, because I´ll will get them fitted in Oktober and they cost me a bomb ($2200) :eyebulge:

Wow :eek:

I'm definitely not going springs only. I'm going with coilovers. I'm just not sure whether to go with H&R or KW.

Anyone have a comparison review, or know what to expect from either (good or bad)?

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Bilstein PSS9s

I just talked to a German guy at Bilstein USA, after making a little search and a few calls to Germany, he called me back to confirm the GTI PSS9s are totally compatible with the R32. So I will go ahead and order a set very soon. One thing I dont like about the KWs is the difficulty of setting the dampening on the shocks. In the back you have to take the whole assembly out where as the PSS9s can be adjusted within seconds. I have had great luck with the Bilsteins and they will get my money again.