GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More MkV hillclimb action -- in-car camera

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got back from the Bible Creek Hillclimb in Willamina Oregon. Bible Creek is the most technical and tricky events on the NW Hillclimb circuit: 2.39 miles, 1100 foot elevation gain, surface changes, etc. 100+ mph speeds are quite possible for many cars on the short straight. I had a few moments -- especially on my first run where I ran WIDE several times.

The MkV GTI is proving to be quite a beast in the hillclimb arena: I ran in G-Stock setting a new hill records of 2:25.830. A buddy of mine showed up in a real Nissan Skyline GT and he ran a 2:22.xxx. I beat all DSP cars, and I think nearly all the stock categories, save for DS.

Hope you guys enjoy the video action.

Cheers,
DJM

Check the action here on google vids...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5888162333899381150&hl=en

If you want to see better quality, check out the original video from my ftp server:
ftp://j-san.com/biblecreek-2007_run3.avi

BigChiefSmokem

Just got back from the Bible Creek Hillclimb in Willamina Oregon. Bible Creek is the most technical and tricky events on the NW Hillclimb circuit: 2.39 miles, 1100 foot elevation gain, surface changes, etc. 100+ mph speeds are quite possible for many cars on the short straight. I had a few moments -- especially on my first run where I ran WIDE several times.

The MkV GTI is proving to be quite a beast in the hillclimb arena: I ran in G-Stock setting a new hill records of 2:25.830. A buddy of mine showed up in a real Nissan Skyline GT and he ran a 2:22.xxx. I beat all DSP cars, and I think nearly all the stock categories, save for DS.

Hope you guys enjoy the video action.

Cheers,
DJM

Check the action here on google vids...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5888162333899381150&hl=en

If you want to see better quality, check out the original video from my ftp server:
ftp://j-san.com/biblecreek-2007_run3.avi

What mods do you have? How did you get into hill climbing and how do I find out more about it? Wait... I'm in FL... I would need hills for a hill climb, wouldnt I?? :(

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
What mods do you have? How did you get into hill climbing and how do I find out more about it? Wait... I'm in FL... I would need hills for a hill climb, wouldnt I?? :(

Chief,

I run in G-stock so the only performance related mods I have are: billstein sport struts, an aggressive alignment setup and kumho v710s in 245/45 17 on OZ wheels. Safety equipment, required by the sanctioning body are: harness and fire extinguisher mounted within my reach while seated.

How did I get into hillclimbing? I google'd around and found this: http://www.nhahillclimb.org. We are lucky to have an active hillclimb association here in the NW. For yourself, in FL -- hmm...what hills??? I know there are some events in the PA area, but that is a bit of a haul from FL.

Hillclimbs are a really amazing amateur motorsport venue -- quite a bit different than an autox! I am hooked!

Cheers,
DJM

BigChiefSmokem

Chief,

I run in G-stock so the only performance related mods I have are: billstein sport struts, an aggressive alignment setup and kumho v710s in 245/45 17 on OZ wheels. Safety equipment, required by the sanctioning body are: harness and fire extinguisher mounted within my reach while seated.

How did I get into hillclimbing? I google'd around and found this: http://www.nhahillclimb.org. We are lucky to have an active hillclimb association here in the NW. For yourself, in FL -- hmm...what hills??? I know there are some events in the PA area, but that is a bit of a haul from FL.

Hillclimbs are a really amazing amateur motorsport venue -- quite a bit different than an autox! I am hooked!

Cheers,
DJM

Are you running a DSG or 6MT

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
how do u like it when applied to a race appication?

I am quite pleased with the DSG under racing conditions. I put the DSG into manual mode and use the console shifter to execute shifts -- basically, it has the same feeling as a sequential box. It takes a little getting used to, as it is somewhat different than a 6MT, but once you have the "feel" for how to drive the DSG it proves itself to be quite a capable trans. Love LC for launches off the line -- good stuff!

DJM

BigChiefSmokem

I am quite pleased with the DSG under racing conditions. I put the DSG into manual mode and use the console shifter to execute shifts -- basically, it has the same feeling as a sequential box. It takes a little getting used to, as it is somewhat different than a 6MT, but once you have the "feel" for how to drive the DSG it proves itself to be quite a capable trans. Love LC for launches off the line -- good stuff!

DJM

No paddle shiftin' for you?

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
No paddle shiftin' for you?

At the moment my paddles have been removed -- so no paddle shifting for me.

I have a small business where I make parts for cars -- like paddle shifters for Audi's and VW's. I pulled mine off to use as prototypes for a new product.

This is what I make for the Mk4 R32 (euro version) and the Audi TT - thinking about something similar for the MkV GTI: