GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tracking with Stock tires

ar_mike

=D
I haven't been to the track before but this past weekend I was lucky enough to head to the track and sit in my frd's RX8. When he got to the track, he changed all this tires to sticky ones and all. I won't have the luxury to have another set of tires/rims so I would have to stick with my stock 17s and stock tires.

Can anyone give me a foreshadow of what will happen if the stock 17s/tires were used on the track? Maybe some pros and cons?

Thanks!!

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
they should be fine for the first time. depending on the track you may get some slight wear or feathering on the outside front edges. if you have A/S tires (as opposed to summer) they will tend to overheat soon and get slippery. other than that you will be fine. rasie the PSI up to 3-4 psi over stock.

ar_mike

=D
they should be fine for the first time. depending on the track you may get some slight wear or feathering on the outside front edges. if you have A/S tires (as opposed to summer) they will tend to overheat soon and get slippery. other than that you will be fine. rasie the PSI up to 3-4 psi over stock.

:w00t: Thanks!! =) Is there an A/S tire that is good enough to be used on the track say once or twice a year but still good in the snow/rain??

dtvburns

Tweek
If they are good on the track they are not good for cold or snow. My Potenza Reo1s are very good in the rain as are other high perf street and track tires.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
:w00t: Thanks!! =) Is there an A/S tire that is good enough to be used on the track say once or twice a year but still good in the snow/rain??

rain maybe - snow unlikely. The Mich Pilot sport A/S do pretty well in the dry, but they are big bucks. SOme of the Khumo A/S tires do pretty well on the track and are not big bucks I think the BGF KDWS is decent on the track - but not sure if its snow rated. best deal for snow is snow tires.

ar_mike

=D
Any opinion on the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS?? I took a look on tirerack and these seem to be the best overall? :iono:

dtvburns

Tweek
I do not have them but I have not heard they are a good sport tire.

Get two sets. I am below you in W NY and I run summer and winter tires. Summer tires are much better than all seasons.