GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New WRX

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
There was a Subaru event today at my mall and I decided to go check out the new Subaru's. It's a turbocharged 2.5 liter engine producing 224 hp and a lot of torque. My first impression sitting inside is that they really improved the quality of the looks (on the inside). There is decent leg room in the rear. But because of the round shape of the car, the car looks like just a bigger Corolla, especially the sedan version. And the trunk? Well, I can certainly put more stuff in my GTI than the WRX. The front bucket seats are interesting too look at, while the ones in the back looked dull.

Let's get to the drive. The clutch was surprisingly softer than I had imagined. Even other previous Subaru owners said it was a lot lighter than the older gen WRX's. The steering was decent. The shocks were actually very good at absorbing the bumps on the ground. What I didn't like was the soft suspension. When we went around the cones I was tossed around like a blender making a smoothie. Also, the ABS cut me in when I didn't want it to and the car jerked quite suddenly when I took it about. However, the thing I hated the MOST about the new WRX is the flimsy gear box. If you aren't paying attention, I guarantee a mis-shift without a doubt. I didn't feel connected to the car as I shifted gears. In addition, when I was sitting in another WRX that was on display, it had a even worse gearbox because when I went through the gears and it was ... not really knotchy, but more like unsure if it was in the right shift gate. Only other explanation to compare this to is like the Honda 3rd gear. Sometimes you go into 3rd and you think you are in, but you can push the gear lever further in. All the cars had Momo shiftknobs though. Maybe it was because it was near the end of the day and the cars had been driven the hell out of them... but they ONLY had a few k miles on them though.

It is a good daily driver and a fun car when you need it to be. They toned down the looks of the WRX in order to appeal to a wider audience. I don't know about you, but I prefer this knew look to the older one. It won't attract cops with a huge wing; it has a European taste; it is stylish. The quarter mile comes in 14.4 seconds I think. 0-60 in under 6.

In addition, I checked out the Subaru Legacy. Let me tell you one thing, for a 20-35k car, I expect a lot more rear room. I'm 5'4" and I felt a little trapped for a passenger in the back. This other guy who was checking out the car at 6 foot did NOT like the back at all. I was surprised the WRX had more head room than the Legacy.

Our stock GTI's have cannot take this car on a straight race.

Nicholas

Vanilla Bear
I haven't driven any car that can hold a candle to the feel of the golf's. It's pretty damn awesome (and my last car was a MY07 wrx)

KroenenMKV

Ready to race!
They're still around. They only make up around 10% of the total WRX sales though. One of the major reasons is that you can only get the auto tranny with the limited package, and that'll put the price tag close to $29K. I honestly think if the auto tranny was an option on the base model WRX and the tranny was more aggressive ( ie. 6 speed auto, some kind of CVT or something like that) a lot of people would buy them. The 4-speed auto tranny mounted to a WRX barely gets under 7 seconds for the 0-60 from what I've read. It just does not perform well at all. I was going to buy an auto WRX a couple years ago and the salesperson actually talked me out of it.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Surprised to see he thinks it handles bumps well. You and the mag reviewers have a different opinion on that. Two of the write ups I've read in magazine test say that the suspension is a bit harsh and that you feel every little thing on the road through the steering wheel and that it'll jerk away on ya if you hit the slightest of bumps in the road. Also says it makes for nasty road noise and feel.:iono:

Disclaimer: By no means am I debating yoru input. Just saying that it appears you have a different opinion on it vs what I've read.:respekt:

Jsmitty

5 meters spread, no sound
But they have a Legacy for that. I prefer if they would have kept the wagon. But I guess that incrouches the Outback and the Forester.

Jsmitty

5 meters spread, no sound
You got it. It does give people more options. But they do have plenty of other vehicles in their line that will meet most of those needs.