GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test Drove the new GTI..color??

GTI689

Oval Champion
Test drove the new GTI today i have to say this was an awsome car i love the 6 speed and the torque :w00t: back seats have alot of room and the seats are very comfortable. I just have one problem What color?? I realy liek the black but many peopel are telling me its very hard to keep clean? Those of you with black cars how hard is the car to keep clean and mantain? keep in mind i live in south Florida and it rains alot... Thanks for you help
-Amier

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Amier said:
Test drove the new GTI today i have to say this was an awsome car i love the 6 speed and the torque :w00t: back seats have alot of room and the seats are very comfortable. I just have one problem What color?? I realy liek the black but many peopel are telling me its very hard to keep clean? Those of you with black cars how hard is the car to keep clean and mantain? keep in mind i live in south Florida and it rains alot... Thanks for you help
-Amier

Black is what I've always said is a high reward / high maintenance color. Nothing can beat a clean and waxed black GTI! :bow: But you've gotta ask yourself - 1) are you the type of person that absolutely can't stand a dirty car, 2) can you stand seeing swirl marks on your car and 3) are you the type that has the commitment to wash and wax frequently?

Black shows any sign of dirty/dust very easily (much more than any other color), shows swirl marks over time (even if you're careful while washing, they will show up eventually).

Glad you loved your test drive and hope you order one soon :headbang: Now you can understand why we're all GTI fanatics here.

Oh, and welcome to the site. :smile:

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
Basically all that JJ said is fact. My current car is black and it's tough to keep clean. One example is after you clean it up, any sign of dust is immediately shown on the car... but when it's cleaned up and waxed, it's such a nice car to look at.

I don't think I will ever get a black car, unless I strike it rich, as I would then pay someone to make sure the car is always clean! ;)

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
Both my cars are black. It sucks real bad when they are dirty (which is 360 days a year), but nothing shines like a fresh coat of zymol on a black car.

BTW: Balck Magic seems to me the absolutely best black paint ever. Soooo much sparkle - even better than BMW Cosmos Black. Everybody comments on it.

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Personally, I think white is the best colour for the GTI because it makes the grille stand out so much more. Not to mention it stays cleaner, stays cooler and little chips and scratches are harder to see...and uuuuhhhh....I chose white for my GTI. hehehe.

I appreciate this post... i have wanted an evil black on black car for so long, and i love a clean car. this post does not discourage me!

2nd choice: united grey

when i first saw the gti i actually didnt like the black grill so i thought "hey ill get a black car so the grill blends in" ... i like the grill now but still want black.

deadhead

Ready to race!
Since you live in south Florida, another thing to consider is that black gets really hot in the sun. Tinting the windows will help a little, but black still absorbs a lot more heat that lighter colors.

bmwr32

Drag Race Newbie
Horizon said:
Basically all that JJ said is fact. My current car is black and it's tough to keep clean. One example is after you clean it up, any sign of dust is immediately shown on the car... but when it's cleaned up and waxed, it's such a nice car to look at.

I don't think I will ever get a black car, unless I strike it rich, as I would then pay someone to make sure the car is always clean! ;)

I agree, my current car is the Honda Blackhawk Pearl and the swirl marks are many, I'm sure if i wax a few times they would somewhat vanish, but I guess you can say that I am afraid of waxing my car, one reason, what is a good wax for "repairing" swirl marks, what is a good technique for waxing one's car??
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

bmwr32 said:
I agree, my current car is the Honda Blackhawk Pearl and the swirl marks are many, I'm sure if i wax a few times they would somewhat vanish, but I guess you can say that I am afraid of waxing my car, one reason, what is a good wax for "repairing" swirl marks, what is a good technique for waxing one's car??
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

wax on wax off! of course.

use zymöl it is great and smells good too (that is what important).

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
Does the united grey show the swirls? My dealer is locating one for me. I think grey is very nice looking

bmwr32

Drag Race Newbie
GTi Fanatic said:
wax on wax off! of course.

use zymöl it is great and smells good too (that is what important).

well duh!!! thats the only way to do it.....young grasshopper....LOL!!!!

trigti

Passed Driver's Ed
for what its worth, when I test drove one last week it was red. my A3 was red and I never wanted a red car but it did look nice when clean. I will not get red again. however, they had a united gray one that caught my eye. they had a couple black ones that disappointed me - the dirty issue again. for me, i think i must have white.