GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving to AZ in 3 months, new to the area.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
hey everyone, just introducing myself here. my names matt and ill be moving down to AZ at the end of october. ill be going to UTI in Avondale and im very excited about it! just wondering what the scene is like down here. i live in the NW right now and there is a huge euro car community so i hope is like that down south as well. also my dad really wants to keep my mk5 at home so he can have fun driving it. as much as id hate to do this, i think it will be fair since he will be taking over the payments on the car cuz ill be a full time student. if this happens, he will let me get the mk2 gti that ive always wanted. now i know its crazy hot down here(for me it will be) and the mk2 wont have any AC, do you think ill die? haha. i could try and convince him on a mk3 since that has AC but not sure if he will go for it. any of you guys own a mk2 or has owned one? i have alot of things to figure out for when i move down and this is one of the bigger ones haha. hopefully ill be able to meet you guys at future g2gs!

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
from what I've seen the Ford Focus scene pretty big down there and for some reason a lot of golfs show up to their meets, but thats just goin off having family down there

jeri534

Im from Seattle, WA and Ive been here in Avondale for the past 2 years also for UTI, finishing up in the Audi Academy, and the heat sucks here even with A/C, I dont know how people go without having A/C in their car.

Since you're moving end of october you are coming in the perfect time when the weather is perfect and you dont need A/C, but around april/may is when it starts to get hot again.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
i see, thanks for the insight. maybe ill look into getting a nice mk3 then.

btw how hard was it to get into the audi academy? from what ive read about it and from what my advisor has told me, it seems like it is pretty hard to get into.

jeri534

not that hard if you come to school everyday

most kids go to UTI thinkings its high school where you can miss a few days and its not big deal

are you taking Ford FACT? you should if you are not

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
There are a lot of GTI's in the Phoenix area. Even Prescott is getting a bigger VW scene.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
not that hard if you come to school everyday

most kids go to UTI thinkings its high school where you can miss a few days and its not big deal

are you taking Ford FACT? you should if you are not

ya for the amount it costs, ill be going to school everyday haha. but i know im gonna have alot of fun there. and ya my advisor highly suggested me take the Ford FACT program aswell so i signed up for it.

conom06d

Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
Ohhh yeah, and as for the Mk2, hehe, yes you will die. I think it has been an average of 115 the past week.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Welcome Hefty Lefty...I am new to the VW scene locally but I've lived here for my entire 25 year old life (with the exception of one year in LA). Good luck on your move and PM if you have any questions about the Valley. And yes, you will want a working A/C from May-September. No questions asked.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
hell ya you guys will see me! ill definitely be hitting up the g2gs down there. its kind of unfortunate that i cant find a decent mk2 to buy..i guess ill just have to take the mk5 down then :biggrin:

conom06d

Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
OH what a shame LOL!

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Having no A/C is brutal in the Summertime in Phoenix, but it's still survivable. I went two summers a few years back in my old Golf without A/C because I was a broke college student and couldn't afford to get it fixed. Just keep the windows cranked down a bit and build up some speed for some crosswind.

But seeing that you are from the Northwest, you'll probably never get used to the heat here. So I would say go for a MkIII if you can.