GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG problem

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
I have got my car for a few days and I notice that it's very hard to pull from 'P' to 'R' when I try to back my car from idle.

is it normal? I feel like the gears are rubbing each other very hard.

dc_candy

Drag Race Newbie
Jeff, my DSG is very smooth through all the selections. I would advise a service appointment with your dealer.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
jeff_faye_lo said:
I have got my car for a few days and I notice that it's very hard to pull from 'P' to 'R' when I try to back my car from idle.

is it normal? I feel like the gears are rubbing each other very hard.

would u happen to be on a hill or a steep incline when this happens?

cuz i know when my car is parked on a steep drivway or something its really hard to get it from P to R and then once it gets to R it makes a popping sounds....but all that is is the added stress on the tranny...the way to solve that problem is when u are going to park on the steep incline use the ebrake before u take off the brake after puting the car in P

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
I agree with Freek. VW's DSG has gears like a regular manual transmission and you should treat it like so. With a conventional manual transmission, if you don't use the e-brake and let the vehicle roll until the gears are fully meshed, it will be xtremely hard to put it out of gear if the clutch is not depressed. The DSG does not have a clutch pedal.......

bobbysawhney

would u happen to be on a hill or a steep incline when this happens?

cuz i know when my car is parked on a steep drivway or something its really hard to get it from P to R and then once it gets to R it makes a popping sounds....but all that is is the added stress on the tranny...the way to solve that problem is when u are going to park on the steep incline use the ebrake before u take off the brake after puting the car in P

I had the same problem yesterday and heard a loud popping sound moving from P to R when parked on a steep incline (this was just on a steep driveway).

So, what you are saying, is to apply the ebrake while the brake pedal is depressed and then move the selector lever to P (DSG) while parking and then move from P to R before releasing the ebrake? I will give that a try and see if there is no more popping sound, thanks.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
i think thats because when you park the car you move it from "D" directly to "P", it happens when you do that especially in hills

you better put it from D to N lift the handbrake,take your leg off the brake ,wait a sec ,press the brake again and put it on P ,,,

slickvic

I scare other drivers
Use the E-brake

I had the same problem yesterday and heard a loud popping sound moving from P to R when parked on a steep incline (this was just on a steep driveway).

So, what you are saying, is to apply the ebrake while the brake pedal is depressed and then move the selector lever to P (DSG) while parking and then move from P to R before releasing the ebrake? I will give that a try and see if there is no more popping sound, thanks.

Well thats close. You can release the E-brake after pressing the brake pedal but before moving the gear selector from P to R. Otherwise you got it right. :thumbsup:

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
When coming to a stop to park, continue holding your brake and pull the E-Brake. That will let an easy release when you startup again. Just treat the transmission like a manual :smile: << that applies to some things.. :laugh:

candy white gti

Autocross Champion
i agree i have been doing this for a while now. as long as the e brake is up when parking it will be smoother when you go to start it back up.

grdriver

Greek Driver
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MKV
On any steep hill it will happen , you must pull the e-brake so the car wont roll then put it in P or you can also hold the brake put it in P the pull up the E brake just dont let the car roll foward or reverse , it happens when the car rolls after taking it out of gear.

crimsontiger6

Car(s)
Mazda MX-5
no no no, this is how its done

You accelerate toward the parking spot at 90 degrees from said parking spot. You flick the DSG to "N", then you reef on the e-brake, (or "parking brake" here in Aussieland). You execute a 90 degree slide into said parking spot, remembering not to scuff your wheels on the curb (or "gutter" here in Aussieland). You then shift into "P" remove key and dismount your vehicle. Try not to do this in front of the "man" (or "coppers" or here in Aussieland). :thumbsup: