GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Poll - 18" for Candy White GTI

Which 18" Wheels do I buy for my CW GTI?

• Audi RS4 Replicas

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Audi RS6 Replicas

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • BBS CK Anthracites

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Spyn Wheels ZX Tuning

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • TSW Cataluyna

• Privat Netz Grey

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Borbet FS

• OZ Superturismos

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
Ok everyone, I've researched this to death and I need to finally come to a conclusion on which wheels to put on my Candy White GTI.

The GTI is my daily driver, and I generally drive about 20,000 miles. I live in Central Illinois so we do get snow, but that's why I bought the car with the 17" wheels with all-season tires.

So the wheels will only be used seasonally, and have stickier performance-type tires mounted on them. I do want to stay with 18" for the ride quality.

The car has already been lowered 1.2" on Eibach Pro-Kits Springs.

Rubbing is always a concern, as I do carry some weight in the hatch with all my files, paperwork, laptop, etc that I carry for my job. The hatch is always full.

I've narrowed it down to an 18" wheel with either a 7.5" or 8" width, with a 225/40/18 tire. Offset 45+.

Price range I would like to stay in is under $2,500 for a set of 5 wheels and tires mounted. I would like to have the 5th wheel with tire mounted as immediate backup, so I don't have to wait around for someone to get a tire in for me.

I'm not looking for chrome wheels, or staggered setup. I have considered either a black or gray wheel, as I think it looks pretty sharp on the Candy White GTI's that I have seen on here.

Weight is also a concern, as I don't want some 25+ lb boat anchors at all four corners. So I've already eliminated several wheels based on their weights.

Can you tell I've been obsessing over this for a while?

Ok, here's the ones I am down to -

OZ Superturismo
Borbet FS
Privat Netz Gray
TSW Cataluyna
Spyn ZX Tuning
BBS CK Anthracite
RS6 Replicas (Tire Rack)
RS4 Replicas (??)

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Pete

Attachments

• OZ Superturismos on UG.jpg
    OZ Superturismos on UG.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17,168
  • Borbet FS 18.jpg
    Borbet FS 18.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 13,085
  • netzgreyBIG.jpg
    netzgreyBIG.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 12,874
  • catalunya_hyperblack.jpg
    catalunya_hyperblack.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 10,911
  • Spyn ZX Tuning.jpg
    Spyn ZX Tuning.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 11,178
  • bbs ck anthracite.jpg
    bbs ck anthracite.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 10,711
  • Audi RS4 Replicas.jpg
    Audi RS4 Replicas.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 17,529
  • newgti 002a.jpg
    newgti 002a.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 14,653

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Pete,

Dispite your best efforts to eliminated the boat anchor wheels, you do have a few in your selections.

First, any of the RS4/RS6 replicas weigh more than 25 lbs. The OZ Superturismos are also up there.

Borbets are NOT known for lightweight. They're know for affordable, STRONG (read heavy) wheels.

No idea about the other ones you picked.

General rule of thumb...if they're replicas, they're heavy. If they've got ANY level of bling, they're probably heavy.

If you REALLY want a LTW rim (affordable, too), some of the Edge Racing selections are light (but offsets aren't perfect).

The OZ Ultraleggera is probably the best bet...under $1200 without tires. Around 18 lbs. each.

Good luck.

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
ünpimptheauto said:
Pete,

Dispite your best efforts to eliminated the boat anchor wheels, you do have a few in your selections.

First, any of the RS4/RS6 replicas weigh more than 25 lbs. The OZ Superturismos are also up there.

Borbets are NOT known for lightweight. They're know for affordable, STRONG (read heavy) wheels.

General rule of thumb...if they're replicas, they're heavy. If they've got ANY level of bling, they're probably heavy.

If you REALLY want a LTW rim (affordable, too), some of the Edge Racing selections are light (but offsets aren't perfect).

The OZ Ultraleggera is probably the best bet...under $1200 without tires. Around 18 lbs. each.

Good luck.

Unpimp,

Most of the wheels I found on TireRack's website, so I was going by the weight's they have listed -

Sport Edition S6 (RS6 Replica) - 25.0lbs (+48mm offset)
OZ Superturismo - 24.4lbs (+50mm offset)
Borbet Type FS - 22.0lbs (+45mm offset)
BBS CK's - weight, offset not listed, Special Order

TSW's website lists the Catalunya in a 18x8 with a 45mm offset, no weight listed.

I was interested in some of the Flik Wheels, but I am aware that someone on the site has already tried them on a lowered GTI, and has already posted them for sale. The offset at 33mm is way too low.

I'm not really looking for the lowest weight, just a nice balance between weight and looks.

The OZ Ultraleggera is not really my taste.

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Pete

untchablecs

Ready to race!
I went on tirerack and found wheels that look just like the ones in the pic.......AT Italia 9 Razze...are these the same as the Audi RS4 Replicas?

What other sites are good to buy tires/wheels from?

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
BBS CK FTW

Nimble

Oval Champion
ünpimptheauto said:
Pete,

Good luck.

This man knows what he's talking about! Listen to him, I can dittio all that he said. Replicas suck really bad, and bling wheels are always heavy. Stick with the Ultraleggeras or the Flik's like I just bought, nice and light, and cheap.

Nimble

Oval Champion
CopperAddict said:
Unpimp,

Most of the wheels I found on TireRack's website, so I was going by the weight's they have listed -

Sport Edition S6 (RS6 Replica) - 25.0lbs (+48mm offset)
OZ Superturismo - 24.4lbs (+50mm offset)
Borbet Type FS - 22.0lbs (+45mm offset)
BBS CK's - weight, offset not listed, Special Order

TSW's website lists the Catalunya in a 18x8 with a 45mm offset, no weight listed.

I was interested in some of the Flik Wheels, but I am aware that someone on the site has already tried them on a lowered GTI, and has already posted them for sale. The offset at 33mm is way too low.

I'm not really looking for the lowest weight, just a nice balance between weight and looks.

The OZ Ultraleggera is not really my taste.

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Pete

Go with the Flik FTD in 17x8, it is a 45 offset. I just had mine mounted today on the stock 225 all seasons, and lemme tell you, it gives the car a MUCH meaner look. Between the FTD's being 8" wide, and the offset dropping from the low 50s for stock, to 45mm, they stick out farther, giving a aggressive stance. I would stear clear of any offset lower than 40 though, maybe 38 at the lowest.

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
untchablecs said:
I went on tirerack and found wheels that look just like the ones in the pic.......AT Italia 9 Razze...are these the same as the Audi RS4 Replicas?

What other sites are good to buy tires/wheels from?

Those are different wheels, still very similar to an Audi wheel, but not the ones that I choose.

Pete

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
Nimble said:
Go with the Flik FTD in 17x8, it is a 45 offset. I just had mine mounted today on the stock 225 all seasons, and lemme tell you, it gives the car a MUCH meaner look. Between the FTD's being 8" wide, and the offset dropping from the low 50s for stock, to 45mm, they stick out farther, giving a aggressive stance. I would stear clear of any offset lower than 40 though, maybe 38 at the lowest.

I'm not looking for a 17" wheel, and all of the Flik's in an 18" have an offset less then 40mm.

Pete

Nimble

Oval Champion
CopperAddict said:
I'm not looking for a 17" wheel, and all of the Flik's in an 18" have an offset less then 40mm.

Pete
Good story. You are aware that having 18's has ZERO performance benefit over 17's right? Well, unless you count poorer gas mileage, harder suspension wear, and terrible acceleration as benefits.