GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge D Valve Spacer Installed

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
So I got it in the mail today. I used the Jack that came with the car to raise it up. I know you aren't supposed to do this, but I'm a risk-taker, and thats all I have. It lifts the car plenty, as most of the work you're doing is next to the right front wheel.

The electrical solenoid pops right off with a little pressure in the right area. After this you just have to undo 3 bolts. This was a little tough, just because you're weaving and winding your hands through a bunch of shit hanging in front of your work area. The 3rd bolt is hard because it's directly behind the DV, so you're blind.

When I say it's hard, it's not difficult to find anything, it's difficult to be able to get enough torque to undo the bolts with so little room. I ended up using a little right-angle allen key. This gave me more room to move. It takes a long time when you get like a quarter turn each time.

Reassembly is easy. Make sure you replace the "whistle" before screwing back together. I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to go back into the spacer or not, so I put it back in and got lucky. The instructions aren't real clear on that so just be aware.

As far as sound. it's pretty nice. As many have said, with the windows up and radio on it sounds like stock. With the radio off and the windows down it is loud, or at least extremely audible. It blows every time you let up on the gas, and sometimes for no reason.

I'm real happy overall. It's purely a gimmack, but it gives you a good sound and the feel that you got a nice turbo setup.:burnrubber:

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
yeah the top bolt is a bitch. otherwise its a nice cheap mod.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I should have prefaced that by saying that today was the first time I've been under a car. So normal people should have no trouble with the install. Half the time I was poking around wondering "hmm I wonder what this pipe is for." I've owend 4 other cars and had mods done. I'm proud to say this is my first self installed "mod" Popped my modification cherry.:wink:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
i remember my first serious attempt was installing coilovers on my 95 M3, turn to a major nightmare, took almost a full day, but at the end i did, that is why it is worth paying for someone to do the job:laugh:

MHS216 said:
I should have prefaced that by saying that today was the first time I've been under a car. So normal people should have no trouble with the install. Half the time I was poking around wondering "hmm I wonder what this pipe is for." I've owend 4 other cars and had mods done. I'm proud to say this is my first self installed "mod" Popped my modification cherry.:wink:

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
i tried to install mine but found it difficult to take the plug off, where am i supposed to place pressure on exactly in order to take it off? I didnt want to force it in case I broke anything. I also tried to use a small right angle allen key, but found it too difficult (time consuming) to do it without removing the plug as you can hardly turn the damn thing without the plug getting in the way.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Yeah it is important take the electrical connection off first. It's hard to explain, but there is a tab that has to be released on the right side of the connection. I used a small flat head screw driver to pop it out. Once you get it off, you get more room to turn a allen wrench etc. Still you will only be getting about a 1/4 turn per movement.

BTW I bought mine directly from www.forgemotorsport.com Paid $79 shipped. No problems at all. AND I got a nice little chrome "Forge" keychain too.:wink:

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I fear going from a recirculating valve to a atmoshperic version, there has to be a drop in horsepower simply to sound like a fast and furious racer. No offense to anyone doing this I am just skeptical!

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I notice no drop in performance. Even if someone said it was a loss of 3 HP I'd still leave it on. It's nothing you can feel.