GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Summer or All Season Tires?

PoolShark5

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't bought the GTI just yet, but I can't wait! I'm originally from Chicago, so I've used all season tires basically my entire life. I live in Rhode Island now so it's the same story. But, I'm moving to San Francisco after I buy this car. Should I get the summer or all season tires? I'm leaning toward the summer tires, but don't have any experience with em. I won't have to deal with snow anymore (thank god) but a lot of rain. How practical are the summer tires? How are they in rain? And, how is the performance different from the all seasons?

Thanks!

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
The summer tires have wide grooves for the rain to pass....in my experiences they're just fine in the rain.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
i actually did a switch after 3000 mile son the high performance... at first i noticed the handling difference BIG TIME... i HATED the all seasons... now im sued to them and dont mind having them on. im all set for winter now too... so its up to u

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
scuderiavw said:
I have the summer ones, and I hate them because i like super stickies. i have 2K on them and they are for sale, i will get Goodyear F1 GSD3s 235/40/18s, and live happily after:wink: :biggrin:

And I agree, (again).

My top choices:
1. Toyo T1-R
2. Goodyear F1 GS D3
3. Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions
4. Bridgestone T/A KDW
5. Yokohama AVS ES 100

Have used all of them personally except the KDW's. Will be putting the Toyo's on the new GTI. This list is not in order of price, but somewhat price vs performance. All IMHO

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Joel, it is so hard to decide between the T1Rs and GSD3s, but the thread pattern and the comfort made me go GSD3s last time, and thax God... I used S03s before, and i think they are being discontinued, what a tire, still GSD3s, but i might try the S02 Pole Positions, i need to read about the specs on that tire. Finally good to see some tire guys here.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
scuderiavw said:
Joel, it is so hard to decide between the T1Rs and GSD3s, but the thread pattern and the comfort made me go GSD3s last time, and thax God... I used S03s before, and i think they are being discontinued, what a tire, still GSD3s, but i might try the S02 Pole Positions, i need to read about the specs on that tire. Finally good to see some tire guys here.

Hehehehe.

Yeah I have a bit of a tire "problem". Trying to decide what is going on the MINI next. My OZ's came with Parada Spec-2, basically for no cost to me over the wheels so I have been running them. What an awful tire!! Howls, poor grip, lots of time to get them up to temp to actually grip. Went through them in less than 10k miles too!!

I think I am going with the Toyos or the F1s to replace them...... We'll see.