GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What makes the R32 more of a "grand tourer?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schizoid

Ready to race!
This has been bothering me for a while. Most blurbs I read in the media regarding the R32 classify it as more of a GT rather than a high-strung sports or rally car like the Evo and STi, etc. That's fine and I understand why. But a lot of the stuff I see seems to suggest that it's even more of a GT or somehow more refined than the GTI. Why?

Are these media people comparing a base GTI with cloth to the R32? Does the R32 have more sound deadening material? Are the interior materials of a higher quality than those in the GTI? The only thing I could think of that might make the R32 more suitable for high speed cruising than the GTI is that the engine might be at lower revs for the same highway cruising speed making the cockpit a bit quieter.

Any idea why these media types seem make the R32 out to be a better GT-type car than the GTI?

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Only reason i can think of is bc
1. its a v6 NA
2. the GTI is turbo so they look at it more of a sporty car
3. the AWD system may have something to do with it.

other then that i dont know, dont think it has more sound insulation

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
This has been bothering me for a while. Most blurbs I read in the media regarding the R32 classify it as more of a GT rather than a high-strung sports or rally car like the Evo and STi, etc. That's fine and I understand why. But a lot of the stuff I see seems to suggest that it's even more of a GT or somehow more refined than the GTI. Why?

Are these media people comparing a base GTI with cloth to the R32? Does the R32 have more sound deadening material? Are the interior materials of a higher quality than those in the GTI? The only thing I could think of that might make the R32 more suitable for high speed cruising than the GTI is that the engine might be at lower revs for the same highway cruising speed making the cockpit a bit quieter.

Any idea why these media types seem make the R32 out to be a better GT-type car than the GTI?

The R32's Grand Tubby weight of 3,400lbs might have something to do with this, not to mention the $31K price tag!

DJM

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
i think the base price is closer to $34k.

Schizoid

Ready to race!
So it sounds like my initial thought is correct--the media just has their heads up their asses. I don't really need AWD and I'd much rather have the improved fuel mileage and lower price of the GTI at this point.

johnny12345

Touring Car Champion
I think your right about it being built for higher speeds, requires less effort to cruise at higher speeds, awd makes handling better, not to mention the heavier V6 may take some of the sporty feel away.

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
The r32 is a waste of money... thats all it is. Its not even fast why would anyone spend that kind of money, when they could spend the same and get the STi or the Evo which are much faster cars. And all the people who try and say its more refined bllah blah blah.... anyone who is looking for a "refined" car is not going to buy an r32. Period.

johnny12345

Touring Car Champion
The r32 is a waste of money... thats all it is. Its not even fast why would anyone spend that kind of money, when they could spend the same and get the STi or the Evo which are much faster cars. And all the people who try and say its more refined bllah blah blah.... anyone who is looking for a "refined" car is not going to buy an r32. Period.

Ya but the STi and Evo are kinda ugly.

Jsmitty

5 meters spread, no sound
The weight and coming with more luxury items. The car is more refinded to comfort and everyday ease of living with. Case in point look at the evolution of the early Z car.

Schizoid

Ready to race!
The weight and coming with more luxury items. The car is more refinded to comfort and everyday ease of living with. Case in point look at the evolution of the early Z car.

What luxury items? I'm not aware of anything you get with an R32 that you don't get with a package 2 GTI other than the AWD and the V6. That was the whole point of my topic: why would auto mags claim that the R32 is more of a grand tourer than the GTI? My only explanation at this point seems to be that they are comparing base models to base models. The base R32 is fully loaded except for Nav, I think. While the base GTI would be lacking a lot in comparison.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
clarkson wrote a review about the R32 about compared it to the GTI a bit.

i cant find the link but he says that when you floor a GTI it feels/sounds like an aggresive hot hatch with its turbo. but when you floor an R32, its more like gravity. its the sort of roar you would get in a big mercedes.

the looks as well come into it. GTI does look more of a hot hatch with those flash wheels. but the R32 is very discrete.

ive said it before in another thread, i wouldnt class the R32 as a hot hatch or GT car. muscle hatch!

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
What luxury items? I'm not aware of anything you get with an R32 that you don't get with a package 2 GTI other than the AWD and the V6. That was the whole point of my topic: why would auto mags claim that the R32 is more of a grand tourer than the GTI? My only explanation at this point seems to be that they are comparing base models to base models. The base R32 is fully loaded except for Nav, I think. While the base GTI would be lacking a lot in comparison.

yeah you can't say the extra weight is coz of that...the only thing extra you get in an R over a Pkg2 GTI is an auto dimming rearview mirror (now this is for the US at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.