GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi RS4 or Bmw M3 08'

Maximum6

FASTER
I haven't been able to decide which car to get.

RS4 I love the styling, when it comes in blue it reminds me of the previous BMW M3 E46. Performance wise I do not know. I've seen some vids on youtube showing how old M3's been owning it. And also seen top gear/fifth gear as well about it. I like how it is FSI engine...but hearing that it is 4.2 liters in the front of the car seems a bit heavy. While it is 4wd and has 450hp to back it up...I'm not too sure about the handling of the 4wd system.

Bmw M3 has a great reputation. V8 is going to be lighter than previous v6 if I'm not mistaken. Its going to be 4.0liter 415-420hp. Everything nice, only thing that drags me down is that it has lost the nice aggressive E46 look and came out with the 335i look. Not to mention there were rumors of a 4 door version coming out and a DSG coming out for it as well.
Which is really tough decision on my part to decide to save weight and stick with 2 door...or have a nice looking 4 door car and rolling like TRANSPORTER...but adding a bit of weight and price to it. DSG gearbox is great but I really don't know if I want it on my M3 as I know bmw have great manual gearbox. And them switching to double clutch DSG is unusual ..especially the reputation they have with the sequential.

What would you guys choose?

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
The RS4 will still be available to purchase in 2008. In 2009, they will debut the RS6 and that'll go for 2 years or so.

The old M3s must have been modified because that is bs. Or unless you may have looked at an old RS4, but even then I wouldn't call it "owned."

The RS4 has the engine tucked a little bit to the back as opposed to the other A4s to have a better weight balance. The AWD platform has more bias to the rear wheels to balance the car. AWD is a nice thing to have :wink:

Personally, I'd go for the RS4 while its still available for purchase.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I would buy the RS4, I just love the car. If the M3 beats it around a track by a hair, who cares.

Only real bad thing about the RS4 is it will depreciate pretty badly in comparison to the M3.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
I have driven a RS4, for about 5 VERY spirited miles of driving, lots of freeway on and off ramps etc. we currently have a S4 Avant 6MT. the RS4 is an AWESOME car, it is soooo much faster and handles much flatter than the s4.

with that said I will be selling my 2001 M3 and buying a 2008 or 2009 M3 V8.

much of it comes down to - Do you need four doors? or do you need AWD. (for the average driver the AWD is much safer with this much power). or styling. Or if you are in So Cal a RS4 will be much more rare than an M3.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
the new RS4 is definately faster than the E46, which had an Inline 6 motor, not a V6. Inline 6's are way better in my opinion. Jeremy Clarkson did say that the engine sticks out further than the headlights on the RS4, but the AWD system makes up for it. i would get the RS4. i love love love the interior.

Oh and for the record, when people were talking about the 1-series, and i said they should make an M1, and i was told that it would never happen.....it's happening.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
the new RS4 is definately faster than the E46, which had an Inline 6 motor, not a V6. Inline 6's are way better in my opinion. Jeremy Clarkson did say that the engine sticks out further than the headlights on the RS4, but the AWD system makes up for it. i would get the RS4. i love love love the interior.

Oh and for the record, when people were talking about the 1-series, and i said they should make an M1, and i was told that it would never happen.....it's happening.

It's funny how people look at the negative, he also said the car was biblically good.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
It's funny how people look at the negative, he also said the car was biblically good.

right, but i did follow up with "but the AWD system makes up for it." He just said most Audi's feel like you're driving with a dead horse nailed to the front bumper, but you don't notice it in this car because the AWD system is so good. obviously i'm not looking at the negative since i did choose the RS4 over the M3.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
I have driven a RS4, for about 5 VERY spirited miles of driving, lots of freeway on and off ramps etc. we currently have a S4 Avant 6MT. the RS4 is an AWESOME car, it is soooo much faster and handles much flatter than the s4.

with that said I will be selling my 2001 M3 and buying a 2008 or 2009 M3 V8.

I don't understand how you can go from praising the RS4 and all of a sudden say that you'll sell your E46 for an E92.
Anyway, as I said before, there is more bias towards the rear wheels on the RS4. So it makes up for the heaviness in the front.

To Rabbit, I've seen about 3 floating around so far but since the B7 RS4 is only a 2year production/selling thing, I would suspect the depreciation would be less than the E92 M3. But I'm just saying, :wink: . I think I'm going to lower the PSI in the rear tires on our B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T. :evil:

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
I don't understand how you can go from praising the RS4 and all of a sudden say that you'll sell your E46 for an E92.

the RS4 is a GREAT car. I just think the M3 will be better. I prefer RWD. I dont need AWD (snow, rain etc), and as far as 4 doors .....thats why we just ordered a GTI/4.