GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bike rack / tow bar

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Just come back from a photoshoot down by the lake where I'd parked just up from a black GTi (05 DSG) with tan leather seats. Looked sweet. Makes the waiting that much harder.

I should have checked this before - but has anyone had any experience with fitting a bike rack to the back of the GTi ? I'd be looking for something that can easily be mounted & removed so it doesn't affect the aesthetics when not being used. Damn - I really should have checked in to this earlier. Haven't seen any mention of a bike rack or tow bar being used with the GTi.

Update on my car : I received a call from the dealer to let me know they've gone with a non-standard tint. Something new, apparently, which is better than standard tinting. Could just be dealerspeak. The devil will be in the details and I'll know more when I pick it up. Also took out dint/scratch insurance for 3 years. Any marks within that time and they're fixed with no extra charge. Plus getting paint protection because I'm not the sort of person who wants to be out there washing his damn car every 15 minutes (another reason for getting the GTi in white).

Must.wait.just.a.bit.longer.but.it's.killing.me.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I believe you can use the Saris Bones bike rack. I used it on my honda civic and the I think it can easily be fitted on hatchbacks like the GTI. It's easy to install and remove and can hold 2 bikes. It's also really light.

malkatraz

Touring Car Newbie
Cheers Trick... that's *exactly* what I was looking for. Easy to mount and remove, wont damage the car, and I can store it in the boot.

Looks fairly sexy as well. Nice work!

I'll be ordering the Bones 2 tomorrow... oh and, yeah, they guarantee it's compatible with the 2006 Golf GTi. Happy days.

There's a site that has them on special at the moment : (US$108) : http://www.orsracksdirect.com/saris-bones-trunk-bike-rack-2-805.html