GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car buying idea?

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
My g/f told me that in Delaware you don't have to pay a sales tax when you buy a new car. So she seems to think that when I get my MKV GTI in 6 months it will be a better idea to buy it up there and drive it back home to Northeast Florida.

That seems to good to be true; are there any catches, is this even true? If it is than what would I need to do to get a Florida license plate, registration, etc.? Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
if i remember correctly u would still have to pay sales tax cuz u live out of state

now if u lived in the state of Delaware then u wouldnt have to pay the state sales tax

im almost 100% sure thats how it works

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Here's Johnny said:
My g/f told me that in Delaware you don't have to pay a sales tax when you buy a new car. So she seems to think that when I get my MKV GTI in 6 months it will be a better idea to buy it up there and drive it back home to Northeast Florida.

That seems to good to be true; are there any catches, is this even true? If it is than what would I need to do to get a Florida license plate, registration, etc.? Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance.

you will still pay the sales tax once you get the car registered in FLA.

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
smp85 said:
you will still pay the sales tax once you get the car registered in FLA.

Scott will you? I thought that was the entire point, I think he'll pay personal property taxes but are you sure he'll pay sales tax?

Sales tax is generally paid at time of purchase, how can they charge him if it wasn't purchased in florida, If I lived in Delaware and then moved to FL, they cannot charge me on a car that I purchased 5 years ago for the sales tax there.

But this is way out of my league, just my logical thought process here, please correct me if i'm wrong

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
I just talked to my Dad about it; he told me that when I registered the car in Florida I would still have to pay the sales tax. Oh well I was hoping I could save a grand.

I hope the VW loyalty program comes back in 6 months:thumbup:

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
Here's Johnny said:
I just talked to my Dad about it; he told me that when I registered the car in Florida I would still have to pay the sales tax. Oh well I was hoping I could save a grand.

I hope the VW loyalty program comes back in 6 months:thumbup:

Now, I stand corrected, good to know though

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
yes, when you register you must show proof of sales tax payment. im speaking from registering snowmobiles being an out of stater and buying ours in maine. If you are close with your dealer (which u may ro may not be) you can actually just have them write you a slip saying it was paid... (god the number of times i see that done)