GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFSET

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
What should my off set be if i want to get 17'' wheels??
Im not decided on which ones but i want 17's and i have the H&R coilovers to so i mean i want them to fit perfect.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
what width 17's? i.e 17x7.5(x8,x8.5) etc?

nomad

can you fit 35et's on mkV's?

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Edgeracing.com just test fitted a bunch of wheels on a MKV for the first time. A guy on VWVortex.com had his car used for the photo shoot, so I'm sure more info will be coming to their site. I saw this just today, so it should be easy to find on that site.

Here I found what I was talking about ^.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2591232

nomad

UNCbigM said:
From everything I've read, my impression is that 40-50 offset is desired. However, on EdgeRacing.com most of the wheels they recommend are 35ET... Which leaves me a bit confused. Can anyone make sense out of this? I've heard Edge Racing is pretty reputable and reliable.

http://www.edgeracing.com/2006/Volkswagen/GTI/wheels/17/

id like to know also!

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
I've seen the thread. It is indeed encouraging. The Wasps the used even have an offset of 33 and supposedly worked. I called up Edge Racing yesterday and was told they they had no rubbing issues on a car dropped about 1" and they guarantee no rubbing etc stock (not sure how ANYTHING could rub at U.S. stock height).

The Lex wheels that I'm salivating over are 35 offset and I would love to see them on a MKV to find out how far they stick out (if at all) and how close they are to rubbing on a car thats been lowered.

EuroMKV

Go Kart Newbie

erick.s

Autocross Champion
It seems like we're answering offset questions every other day. Can we get a sticky at the top of this forum outlining what we know so maybe we'll get a little less of this stuff?

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Well, it is difficult to tell from pictures, do you think your car ^ can handle another 10mm (that's what it should be since the Lex's I want are 8" as well)? We're talking one lousy centimeter here... Eyballing it, what do you think?

I've got my heart set on the Lex's but will not buy them if I believe they will rub.

Also, I believe you've had those wheels for a few weeks at least now, I remember when you got them, how are they holding up so far? And can you feel a difference with the 8"?

Thanks!

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
The 8" rim supports the sidewall much better now, so you don't suffer from the sidewall flex that the stock rims had on initial turn-in response. The lighter overall weight is even more impressive. There are no adverse scrub radius/bump steer/torque steer effects that i've noticed.

These tires are actually very good,.....but the weight of the car in combo with the stock width rims just doesn't have the responsive feel that I like.
With the exception of the tread pattern these tires have the same specs as the Bridgestone so-3 pole positions that i've had on my mk4 before. They aren't as quick to respond as the so-3's but the progression of slip/grip is far more stable/predictable.
So far, with my standard spirited driving, the tires have held up quite well with even wear all around,.......but i'm still only at under 4k.

As for clearances, 10mm is probably going to rub up front(while trail-braking through a dip), even with my sport springs/dampers. I wouldn't go more than 5mm up front without worrying.
In the rear 10mm with 225/45's will probably clear fine with a rolled lip.
A 37 or 38et might be a good compromise.

Optimally, I would go 40et(+5mm) with an 8" rim and 225/45's.

However, I will be upsizing my tires to at least 235's, and maybe 245's(depending on internal clearances), so I will fill out the pokeage a little there.

I will be autocrossing the car soon too, so i'll let you know what happens.