GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Racing schools

brian8smith

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 4DR BMP GTI
Looking for something like a skip barber, I live in Michigan....really if anyone has some good experiences at a racing/driving school and/or pics I'd love to see those and hear some stories...and are they really that big of a help to your driving?:thumbsup:

dtvburns

Tweek
Check out your local SCCA chapter and take one of their schools for Auto X, I know it is not as good as a track but they are cheep and you get a lot of driving time. It is a good place to start.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
"Racing Schools" are gonna spend a lot of time on actual racing strategies, passing, drafting, presenting, and because of that I heard they don't teach you as much how to drive a car fast and safe. You'll be driving a quasi-race car with open wheels on race rubber which will perform absolutely nothing like your car.

"Driving Schools" are often referred to as HPDEs (High Performance Driving Experience) and put an instructor in YOUR car and make sure you understand what your car is capable of, with your current setup, on street tires. They'll have you dial it up as you get comfortable with it. All passing is done on straights and only when the pass-e gives you a point-buy. There are no timing devices, and the only purpose is to have a blast, be smooth, and learn the limits of your car and yourself.

So, once I've mastered every aspect of my driving in my car, then maybe I'll attend some "racing schools" if I feel I can perform in some amateur racing series. Til' then, the $2500 I'd spend for 2 days at Skip Barber can pay for all of my HPDEs this year plus some very sweet brake upgrades.

Someone correct me if I've missed something.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
as stated start with some HPDE's. BMW CCA does good ones in our area - check your local chapters , they allow all other car makes, not just BMW.s Audi ACNA may also be in your area. they do some winter driving schools too.