GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

illegal not to have a front license plate in TX?

valve

Passed Driver's Ed
Man, i have been trying to find the answer for some time now.
All i get is different opinions.
Anyone knows for sure?
:help:

andrewt

Autocross Champion
yes its illegal. however, i've driven without a front plate for over 6 years and haven't had a problem yet <knock on wood>.

valve

Passed Driver's Ed
some people say that cops advise you and want you to have one because it is easier for them this way to identify a car. However there is no way they can write you a ticket for that. So i am afraid a cop may lie to me...

got to find a cop friend or smth :)

i just wanna see if there is anyone who actually got a ticket for NOT having a license plate on the front! i have been pulled over many times for not having one, but i never got a ticket for that...

Turbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Speaking of license plates, my old college roommate got pulled over for speeding in Houston and was also ticketed for the stupid license plate frame that the dealer put on his car. :thumbdown:

I'm rolling without a front plate, at least for the moment. I hope I don't catch any grief from the cops. We'll see how long that lasts.

Cheers,
Alex

mach5

you are next
Yes it is illegal to not have your front plate on your car. If you are given two plates when you register your car you are meant to use two plates.

It's more like something they look for, if they suspect you of anything they can use the fact that you do not have a front plate to pull you over. Also, if you are speeding it is something else they can just add to the ticket.

Of course it all depends on the officer, they can pull you over and ticket you just for not having a front plate...

andrewt

Autocross Champion
red light cameras take a picture of both the front and the rear of your car, if i'm not mistaken.

f_399

07 GTI and 06 Passat
i dont even have plates yet :)

but yeah you need them

i havent had one since 2003 and have gotten 1 warning for it

dont give the cop a reason to pull you over and you will be fine

mkvgtiTX

TEXAS
Yes it is illegal to not have your front plate on your car. If you are given two plates when you register your car you are meant to use two plates.

It's more like something they look for, if they suspect you of anything they can use the fact that you do not have a front plate to pull you over. Also, if you are speeding it is something else they can just add to the ticket.

Of course it all depends on the officer, they can pull you over and ticket you just for not having a front plate...

i agree. if you have no front plate (which i dont) it can be an easy reason for a cop to pull you over if they suspect you are doing something wrong or have something illegal in the car. :iono: :smoking: