GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grand Prix Performance Tuning Long Island

Guys, trust me on this one...stay far away from this shop.

After being treated like more of an annoyance than a customer, and hearing them bash APR's customer service, and also bashing Forge saying there is no way anyone will make a better diverter valve than OEM...I'm sorry I can't in good conscience recommend them for anything.

When I first talked to APR about getting the sale extended because my tax return check was late, they were EXTREMELY helpful and more than willing to work with me. They set it up so I can go to Grand Prix to have it done and take advantage of the buy one get one sale. Kudos to all at APR for being so cool!

I get to grand prix and talk to them about it and tell them I was the guy APR called about, that I was scheduled to get 93 and stock with the lockout.

Little over an hour later he comes back with a $950 bill. They fully loaded my ecu. I politely protested saying it wasn't supposed to be that, that the sale was the buy one get one as I had requested and he insisted that the fully loaded was all APR authorized. I asked them to call APR and confirm (9am EST) and he said "No one is going to be at APR until 10am". It was obvious he was already frustrated with me but I didn't waver. I said well there is about $100 difference in price and while that may not be a lot to you it is to me and I would wait for them to get APR on the phone before leaving. He calls apr 9:10am and sure enough, someone answers. They confirm everything and go to reflash my car with the buy one get one package.

This whole time mind you I am the one being extremely apologetic saying things like "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but I can show you the emails and the forums where the sale was first made public, I apologize for wasting your time" Looking back they didn't deserve any apologies from me but I guess I'm just too nice sometimes.

The 2nd problem arose when they set the lockout code to 12...yes 12. Anyone guessing 1 2 3 4 would easily get right in. I asked about the code and they told me it was predetermined despite what I heard. Fine. At this point I was already late for work because they had to reflash me so I just took it, paid the $850 ($125 install charge) and left. After driving with the 93 octane program for a few days I was so thrilled I seriously forgot about the lockout code.

FFWD to me finally thinking about it and getting paranoid and wanting the code changed. I call grand prix. The owner answers and I say "I'm a little worried about the lockout code that was set, its the easiest thing to guess and I'd like to know if I can have it changed". The owner says "What are you worried about no one is going to guess it, whatever, hang on" On the phone now with someone else "Its $75 for a reflash".

I had at this point posted a thread asking if there was a way I could change it myself. Unfortunately I couldn't but Keith at APR attended to me almost immediately after I posted the thread. He addressed my concerns in the most professional, most customer service oriented way that it took me a minute to realize that yes, the customer service at APR was as good as everyone said. I was being treated with respect and courtesy, unlike at Grand Prix, and it was wonderful.

Keith called the other local APR dealer, Anchor Audi in Lynbrook. He set it up so that I could go there and get my car reflashed with the code of my choosing for FREE! Needless to say the guys there, Jeff and Mike, were absolutely incredible to deal with. Even the mechanics there were coming over to my car asking questions and just shooting the shit while the flash was loading. I was shown an RS6 they just installed an APR exhaust on...that car is SICK!!! Mike hooked me up with an APR TUNED emblem and the instruction manual on how to use the flash and the flipswitch...neither of which was provided by Grand Prix.

I couldn't be happier dealing with APR and my decision to use their flash for my GTI. If I knew then what I know now I would never have gone to Grand Prix. Unless you drive a Ferarri they really don't care about you at all.

Thanks so much to APR and the guys at Anchor Audi for making me the happiest customer in the world and for making me feel appreciated! :thumbsup:

B

BLKSUNSHINE

Hi Tom, I went to Dynamic Motorworks.. They installed the R-32 Tail lights, Euro switch and Vagcom the system so my rear fog is all working. I also got the Forge Adj. BOV, and Aweboost Gauge installed. EJ forgot a part to my exhaust so I need to go back, and I'm thinking about stage 1 revo.. what is the difference between the two? pros / cons of either you might have heard?

Hi Tom, I went to Dynamic Motorworks.. They installed the R-32 Tail lights, Euro switch and Vagcom the system so my rear fog is all working. I also got the Forge Adj. BOV, and Aweboost Gauge installed. EJ forgot a part to my exhaust so I need to go back, and I'm thinking about stage 1 revo.. what is the difference between the two? pros / cons of either you might have heard?

With all due respect sir, I'd rather not turn this into a chip vs. chip thread. This thread was made to explain my experiences with a local shop. If you would like to discuss the research I have done and the reason I went with APR we could do it in another thread, over pm, IM, or the next meet.

Can't wait to see the new stuff you got installed!

I got your back if you want to go F**k them up...LoL
Just glad to see APR had your back.

No need to get physical...just paying them back in the best way I know how...by telling my story to their potential customers.

bkmk5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Thats weird that you say you had a great experience with Anchor Audi. The guy Mark there has been tooling me around for a couple days now. I asked for a simple price list of APR tuning and the Milltek Turbo exhaust.
I then got a response of
JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW TURBO BACK MEANS NO CATS AT ALL . WHICH MEANS CAR WILL NOT PASS NY STATE INSPECTION.
Am I stupid for thinking there are cats on the Milltek Exhaust? http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=159clearly shows a high-flow sports cat.

So how much did you pay total for the chip installed!

At grand prix 850 installed as described above with the special.

I wouldn't do anything but the chip at Anchor Audi.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thats weird that you say you had a great experience with Anchor Audi. The guy Mark there has been tooling me around for a couple days now. I asked for a simple price list of APR tuning and the Milltek Turbo exhaust.
I then got a response of

Am I stupid for thinking there are cats on the Milltek Exhaust? http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=159clearly shows a high-flow sports cat.

So how much did you pay total for the chip installed!

No, you are deff right about the milltek exhaust systems having cats...they just dont know what they are talking about.

Just found out when they installed veedubin's carbonio intake...they just installed the scoop, NO filter. ARG!!!

Last edited:
It gets worse...they took his oem filter out too!!! The kid has been riding around over a year with no filter!

Will do thanks boss.

What REALLY needs to be done at the expense of grand prix is a complete overhaul of the motor. Everything that could have been damaged needs to be inspected.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Will do thanks boss.

What REALLY needs to be done at the expense of grand prix is a complete overhaul of the motor. Everything that could have been damaged needs to be inspected.

Word but seeing as they handle their business and customer service it might include ALOT of headaches because I am willing to bet they are not even competent do a rebuild of the motor and they might want to take it to court.