GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with insurance

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
I gave the VIN number to insurance and they said the system could not read the number, it's invalid. I am guessing b/c it's a 2007 model and it's too new for their system.

did any of you have trouble with that?

Oscar

Touring Car Newbie
no man mine went straight through no problems what so ever

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Yes mine was not in the register either but mine is a 2006. They still insured me thou. She said that sometimes the cars that are acually made in germany take longer to get into the system.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I don't know who your carrier is, mine is Primmum(www.primmum.com) they had a quote for me in the minute or so it took to ask the questions. Your company may be trying a stall tactic because they don't want to carry you. I called three companies for quotes and had the same timeframe on all the quotes.

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I had the same problem with my insurance company, they said no problem with insurance, but their system had not been updated with 2007 vin data yet, once they got the papers from registry, no issues,

they quoted me from the 2006 data base for rates!

:burnrubber:

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
if they quote you the rate for a 2006 model GTI, wouldn't that be the MKIV GTI? Wouldn't the insurance rate be different compared to our MKVs? Also your resale value will drop too wouldn't it? I thought all MKV GTI models will be considered as 2007+ models. So when you sell your GTI in the future it will be listed as a 2006, and not a 2007 which will make some what of a difference in $ wise...

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
The GTI is only seen as a 2007 in Canada. The place you should worry about it being a 2007 is your registration with the provincial government. If your insurer is quoting you with 2006 rates, ask for something in writing that indicates they are aware that you own a 2007. That way if there is any confusion down the road they can't say that you misrepresented the car you owned.

As far as it being registered as a 2007, if your dealer registers it as such, that's what it is. The paperwork they present to the registrar (the nivis form) already has the year on it, unless they totally screw up and enter the wrong numbers, you shouldn't have any problems.

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
yeah I think I have the same situation now. that guy is giving me a quote of the 2006 model. so as long as I declare it correctly if the provincial government and the dealer i should be okay no matter what the insurance policy says?

RevengeTO

Passed Driver's Ed
Invalid VIN

I had the same issue - though they (Meloche Monnex) insured me anyway - though it was a little weird driving around with only a written down policy number and not the actual doc from the insurance company. Of course - the vin finally did get released and all is good now.

76er

Madman With Wheels
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Here in Vancouver ICBC does have the Volkswagen GTI 2007 quotes (which are appalingly expensive) but not for the Rabbit yet.